Subie skid plate question

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I want to have something more substantial than the thin layer of plastic that came with my Forester...was looking at this company: http://www.get-primitive.com/

I just want some protection from hitting rocks on dirt roads, since I don't have a ton of clearance.

So, any advice is good...do I really "need" this, does it weigh the car down, create drag, etc. I mean, it's a pretty simple idea and all, but I figured there would be some opinions anyway! :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

An aluminum plate would not weigh much. All that weight would be very low, and would not negatively effect handling.

Go for it. Definitely worth it, and cheaper than an engine replacement. :lol:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Figured I would hear from you! Thanks. Besides, I can go FASTER once I have that...and that's what's important, right?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

trade in for an sti = problem solved....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

cougarmagic wrote:Figured I would hear from you! Thanks. Besides, I can go FASTER once I have that...and that's what's important, right?

HAHAHA uh... you go first! :lol:

Edenooch, the Subaru Forestr XT (Turbo) has the Impreza STi block and goodies. FWIW, I'd rather have the XT than an STi, as it's more practical for us outdoorsy folks. They both handle amazingly well. I've not driven the Forester XT yet, though.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I went for fuel economy over turbo. :(

Still, the way this 4cyl goes up hills is great, even without. Certainly an improvement over the Corolla I used to have... :lol: The only thing I don't like about this car is the AC, which is so weak it's not even funny.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

alli know is the sti is a beast
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Maybe the AC just needs a recharge, flush, or something. Cabin air filter might be filled with junk. People rarely fix that problem.

And not all Corollas are equal. 8)

One can still get great mileage with a turbocharged engine, but they have to be disciplined with their feet.

Eric, STi's are lots of fun. Lots of grip, excellent power, and the boxer sounds like an animal. The sensation you get when driving one for the first time is that you're riding some angry loud growling animal digging crampon-like claws into the ground with all four of its feet.

canoeman

Post by canoeman »

plus they look cool when the car is lying on its roof
:-)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

canoeman wrote:plus they look cool when the car is lying on its roof
:-)
Keeps the rain off the oil pan.
kgw

Post by kgw »

I been tempted to put a PanzerPlate on my A3. . .