Apple cores, banana peels, rock trundling, etc.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

What do you think about:

- Leaving apple cores, orange peels and banana peels in the forests?
- Trundling rocks?

I've seen some experienced hikers on Meetup groups that leave banana peels and apple cores because it's "organic." I usually don't trundle a rock, but I'd be lying if I said I never have. When you're up high, the urge to throw something is powerful.

My opinion is all of this is littering. Litter = Carelessly discarded refuse. And I don't trundle rocks because people could be climbing down below, even if it's some crazy remote canyon you wouldn't think anyone would be possibly stupid enough to be climbing in. But now that I've been that stupid person climbing in crazy places, I don't want to be killed by a rock from above. Here's a sad case of a trundling that killed a climber: http://trib.com/news/top_story/article_ ... 39696.html

Anyhow, I bring this up because some of my newbies are doing this stuff and I try to gently explain to them to not do it but I don't want to come off as a hard ass. How strict are you guys in enforcing these things?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tim wrote:What do you think about:

- Leaving apple cores, orange peels and banana peels in the forests?
- Trundling rocks?
I go over and pick it up.. Saying anything is a waste of time IMO and IME

Trundling Rocks.. Is right up there with painting blazes on trees

These things where done in the 18th and 19th centuries and have been recognized by any sane person as destructive, stupid and dangerous (trundling)
Bill

Post by Bill »

Falling rocks are among the leading causes of death on the trail, let alone some knucklehead rolling em down intentionally!
Would'nt get quite as worked up over biodegradables, although it seems a little careless and inconsiderate.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

Wow thats a terribly tragic story.
I think the rock thrower bears more responsibility then feeling bad.
At the very least, financial arrangements for the wife and daughter.
I don't see where being a veteran has any bearing on his responsibility to make this right.
This is a tough one.
As for the peels, organic yes, but imagine the pct in spring, if the herd was tossing organics.
pack it in pack it out.

Tim wrote:What do you think about:I don't want to be killed by a rock from above. Here's a sad case of a trundling that killed a climber: http://trib.com/news/top_story/article_ ... 39696.html
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I got chewed out for throwing small rocks off DBB onto "Devil's Screefield". Some old dude angrily suggested he could be climbing it... insanely unlikely. I didn't bother stating that I've climbed there before, been hit by rocks, assessed the possibility of injuring someone, and that I have 20/10 vision amongst other things that pointed out that I knew there wasn't anyone in the "beaten zone" downrange as I threw 1lb rocks down there. Oh well. F*ck it.

I don't leave anything behind. You always see orange peels everywhere on summits... so, I always pick it up.

Just tell 'em.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Everyone here should know orange peels are not biodegradable, or at least it takes a hell of a long time for them to degrade. Banana peels ditto. Almost as bad as leaving Pop-Tart envelopes behind.

But I would happily toss an apple core into the bushes, if I ate apples. They are completely edible for small creatures and there should be nothing left of one within a week.
Nunc est bibendum
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

dont those bio degrade?
Tim

Post by Tim »

One site I found claimed these times for things to "dissolve":

Apple core- 2 to 4 months.
Banana skin- 3 to 6 months.
Orange peel- 5 to 6 months.
Paper tissue- 5 months.
Chewing gum- 5 years.
Plastic bottle-1000 years.

I don't know how accurate that is, but to me it seems like no big deal to just pack it back out. If you packed it in, just pack it out. Why leave it? I'm not judging anyone, but to me it seems disrespectful to the mountain to leave something that doesn't belong there when you're capable of packing it back out. I guess there could be worst things than an apple core, but I say let's just make it simple and follow pack it in, pack it out.

I swear I'm not a hiking Nazi...except with my friends. If they litter or trundle a rock again, then it's NO HIKE FOR YOU!!
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

No rock trundling thank you. I also say no to banana skins, orange peels, and chewing gum. Apple cores I think are ok if they're tossed well off-trail. Some items that I've debated whether to toss or pack out include bread, cherry pits, and uneatened portions of rehydrated meals (buried). If in doubt pack it out. The weight is rarely an issue.
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

I typically bring a pbj sandwich in a bag, and then put my apple core of peel in the bag to carry out. Simple and effective.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Also, it might take 6 months for a peel to biodegrade... but where? Not above the treeline. Maybe with more animals and moisture.