20080211 Upper Bear Creek and 20080212 Stuck in Stockton

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I wanted to get some shots of Twin peaks from up close in the south, so I planned on taking an easy hike up Lower Bear Creek, past "Mermaid" Mountain (un-named mountain at south-central section of SGW). We were running low on time, as my buddy had an appointment with his personal fitness trainer at 1700, and I had work at 1915, though I thought it was 1745 and was late as a result. Oh well.

That, and the creek was very strong. 8)

David crossing the damn cold creek

Smith Mountain from the south

Artsy shots

More motivation to be a cop. I'd love to sit around all day long, making the folks who do this clean up their "artwork".

Ontario Peak, on the way out.

Then, today, I headed up to try out Harwood's Northeast Face, which as it appears is not yet in condition, as it's got so much snow on it.

I ended up getting stuck, backing off to the side of the road into snow, and getting stuck there bigtime. Chopped a path with my axe for a couple hours, saw some deer, and some folks helped me out by pushing my truck while I reversed. I like nice people.

So ended this week's attempt on anything.

The drive in

My truck in position, ready to resist all attempts to free it.

Deer

The road to the route

Harwood and trash.

Stockton Flat

Harwood and the Northeast Face.
He219

Post by He219 »

Great pix!!
Time to sport some snow-chains for the pickup.
Ballast on the rear-end helps too!

Please don't try climbing that by yourself Taco!
:o
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I won't.... not for a week or two! Not in condition, too much white stuff.

As one has said before, "I need this!"

Ended up getting a pair of nice stiff La Sportiva 'Cliff' shoes. $20.... size 14... normally $90, I was lucky. REI fancypants 50% off the .83 cents thing.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

How far upstream Bear Creek did you go?
As far as the graffiti, I have never walked along the West Fork SG river without it, even a day after a major cleanup(paint over) there was still one new graffiti. Whats very troublesome is the spread of the graffiti into the north fork as well. Basically, where the north fork joins the west fork was quite clean just a year ago...now its decimated. Also more "popular" is the the confluence of Bear Creek&the west fork SG(one mile from the trailhead). Of course if Crystal Lake is opened, I anticipate an unheard of amount of graffiti hitting the area.

Harwood- appreciate the photos. Snow! You are thinking less, Im hoping a couple storms come our way soon hehehe...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nah I'd prefer more storms to recharge the mountains! I'm with ya.

And yeah, lotsa graffiti. There is some around Crystal Lake, with one on Crystal Lake Crag. Someday I'd like to be an ODWAG up there. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Anywho. Weather is nice and cool and cloudy again!