US Mineral Mounment #173(East Fork) 10/22-10/23(no pictures)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Actually just a simple camping trip to the East Fork..hehe...

Got a late start to do this second attempt at the South Iron Fork due to the jitters..the drive up Highway 39 was IMO still surreal. CalTrans was at work, so it was one way, but I managed to slow down and take in the Morris fire scenery...very colorful orange and brown hues as opposed to the Glendora side(just grey burnt)...whole different feel than the rest of the highway...and on to the east fork road which was proclaimed as no parking anywhere Mon-Thurs at night.

It was so hot, any thought to back up to Airplane Flat and onward was simply ignored. Well, I was too out of shape as well...it had taken me 2.5 hours to get to the bridge and I had made the mistake of not eating thus far that day.

I decided to camp out in the Iron Fork and see if I could get far into the South Fork the next day. I noted that the campground fits 20-25 tents, maybe up to 8 with some privacy. With lots of time remaining in the day, I went just upstream past a short slabby walled section of the river and from there up the other side towards Ross.....it was brush free towards the south ridge of Ross and at about 400-500ft up....thats where I ran into the mineral mounment marker...past there was dense brush as visible(about another 500ft).
It was not bad ridge to be on and the views were still good...., the East Fork almost straight down below, the Iron Fork, and the ultra rugged southwestern ridge of Ross...as for Stanley-Miller, I couldnt be sure where it was, so I cant comment on any approach to it,except to say it appears to me that any 'smarter' way there assumes one knows where the mine is(at least the approach will start off easier though).

Next morning, I continued on, but felt out of it. I made it to the turning point for the typical dayhike route short of the South Iron Fork and made my way back. The trashing of one part by a prospector was spreading in area, although left behind was several items that will stay until moved(such as complete set rusted hand power drill,radio,etc). Someone else had also been here in the last year and left behind a few things which I carried back to the entrance and out of the scenic area at least. I did pack out some tree loopers and rope, but basically its ridiculous around these parts at this point...the 'bolts' are still in of course and this second visitor tried to anchor a old 5mm(thats thin) hardware store type rope using an overhand knot to a nail....the rope failed, although I'll admit by this time I hoped the person had snapped their neck...no such luck.

Going back to Heaton, and seeing what the Narrows have turned into...sad. I counted at least 6 large fireplaces, and several big holes.....Just as I got to the crux of the Narrows, the smell of smoke was detected...and sure enough an active campfire...I dont know these days, maybe the Station fire wasnt enough. The prospector did put it out(without me mentioning anything) and went back to Heaton. There was one trashed area in particular just before the Narrows, a large group had stayed for some time, leaving most stuff behind(I figured it would take 7 people to pack just this one trashed sited out). Another one just downstream, whose favorites was Jumex and Doritos.But as much as the complaints, its still a classic trip.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Sounds like the ENTIRE East Fork is becoming a dump!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I was very surprised about it. There was one FS truck hauling out trash bags, but it would take a sizable effort to clear out the Narrows before a storm gets its hand on the place. As I was mentioning, just that one site had 3 large trash bags of clothes/socks, lots of strewn disposables and food trash, short lawn chairs,playing cards all over the place(likely from the wind),etc..even had a 'structure' bulit, complete with hand made swinging gate to 'complex' and firepits,tarps,etc...hehehe...something like a group of 10 or more to live there. Even wire coil to gird everything together. I did pack out a brand new river interbube(didnt even deflate by the time I got to Heaton :( )

Maybe the best try is to get stuff into the creek and let the storms deal with it...thats what happened to one person's stuff that was digging very near the confluence to the Iron Fork :wink:. I hadnt talked to him the day before as he acted crazed....I mean I had said hello to him(and his wild beard) less than 2 ft away, but he didnt care to acknowledge me and was fixated at digging...but yeah, the Iron Fork includes the confluence area of the East Fork thats pretty....no digging allowed(or else :roll: )
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AW wrote: I ultra rugged southwestern ridge of Ross...as for Stanley-Miller, I couldnt be sure where it was, so I cant comment on any approach to it,except to say it appears to me that any 'smarter' way there assumes one knows where the mine is(at least the approach will start off easier though).
southwestern or southeastern ridge of Ross?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:
AW wrote: I ultra rugged southwestern ridge of Ross...as for Stanley-Miller, I couldnt be sure where it was, so I cant comment on any approach to it,except to say it appears to me that any 'smarter' way there assumes one knows where the mine is(at least the approach will start off easier though).
southwestern or southeastern ridge of Ross?
I was on the southeastern ridge, east of Ross Gulch, which would be the assault on Ross from the south. The southwestern ridge is the rugged one with pk 5995.