Transient arrested in fire probe

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD9BEF8D00

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Transient arrested in fire probe

By THOMAS WATKINS (AP) – 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES — A homeless man was arrested and charged with arson for starting a tiny blaze near the spot where a gigantic wildfire erupted in August and went on to kill two firefighters, homicide detectives said Monday.

Babatunsin Olukunle, 25, is the strongest lead to date in the arson investigation stemming from a fire that destroyed 89 homes, burned 250 square miles of national forest and killed two firefighters when their truck plunged off a road. It was one of the largest fires in Southern California history.

The Nigerian man was arrested Thursday and charged Monday with one felony count of recklessly causing a fire. Authorities said he started a fire that charred an area about the size of a table top on Aug. 20 and was quickly extinguished by two U.S. Forest Service workers who happened to be passing and spotted smoke.

The small fire burned off the side of the Angeles Crest Highway, a mountain road northeast of Los Angeles. Six days later and six miles down the same road, the devastating Station Fire broke out.

Authorities stopped short of calling Olukunle a suspect in the fire, though Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Liam Gallagher said he was the "best lead."

"I can't put him as a suspect, we don't have enough evidence at this time," Gallagher said.

Olukunle was due to be arraigned later Monday. It was not clear if he had been assigned an attorney.

Stan Goldman, a criminal law professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said it appeared that the homicide detectives investigating Station Fire considered Olukunle to be a person of interest in that blaze.

"Why would homicide be interested in investigating someone for starting a fire in which no one died, " Goldman said. "There is no point in them going out to arrest someone unless they think he is involved in a homicide."

The two Forest Service workers who put out the small blaze saw Olukunle walking into the forest and away from the fire. He was a familiar sight to users of the road and had been seen pushing a cart filled with recyclables up the steep road.

He was arrested in Lancaster when two patrol deputies spotted him walking down a street carrying a bag of aluminum cans.

Olukunle, who dropped out of the University of California, Davis, in 2004, told detectives he'd been sleeping in the mountains.

"He seems rational, understands everything," Gallagher said. "He's quite articulate and appears smart, he just has gone to a different lifestyle."

Detectives questioned Olukunle about the Station Fire but Gallagher said he would not give any details about what was discussed.

His family emigrated from Nigeria in 1999.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

...just blame the homeless. they have nothing else to live for.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

moppychris wrote:...just blame the homeless. they have nothing else to live for.
If he set that smaller fire really is suspect numero uno. Even if he set that smaller fire and had nothing to do with the station fire he should be sent down the effing river. Wandering around our forest thinking about burning it down - FUCK him. Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but like I said.... if if IF!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, watch your fucking language! No goddamn cursing in here! :wink:
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

TacoDelRio wrote:Hey, watch your fucking language! No goddamn cursing in here! :wink:
Sorry man. I'm so used to filters I pretty much expected a *&#^$*#& to appear in place. Not another goddamn curse outta me again! :)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

moppychris wrote:...just blame the homeless. they have nothing else to live for.
If it is true.... he should be prosecuted

If he is not... he has a right to live

Why you'd "need" a fire on a night when it was probably in the 80's

Or how you'd even push a shopping cart up the highway to where the fire started is a mystery to me.

They wouldn't want me on any jury... let me tell you....just because the cops say it is so doesn't mean it's true.

They want to hang someone for this. convicting the wrong guy would only compound the horror that this whole thing is.

They'd have to have solid physical evidence connecting him to the fire for me to convict. despite my feelings
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

maybe its the same dude who used to live in a blue tarp tent on a ridge south of Clamshell peak!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote:maybe its the same dude who used to live in a blue tarp tent on a ridge south of Clamshell peak!
Or this guy...
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

On the way down i saw a homeless man hiking up towards orchard camp. I wonder if this was his accomplice
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Layne Cantrell wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Hey, watch your fucking language! No goddamn cursing in here! :wink:
Sorry man. I'm so used to filters I pretty much expected a *&#^$*#& to appear in place. Not another goddamn curse outta me again! :)
No worries, say whatever you like.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Yeah, I agree with you there matt. I hate when the wrong people or things get blamed, it just digs a deeper hole. Like how they keep us out of Williamson Rock because "we" are "hiking" all over their habitat, But the real reason the yellow frogs are dying is that amphibians are the weakest animals on Earth and are dying everywhere, because of overall climate changes and pollutants.
Anyway, if this guy goes to jail for suspicion of starting the Station, we are going to be stuck paying for his jail time... Long story short, we need to somehow fix this system of government.

God Bless America! and let us kick ass like its 1944!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch wrote:On the way down i saw a homeless man hiking up towards orchard camp. I wonder if this was his accomplice
lol yeah I saw that guy below First Water. we passed him, then i saw a few Whole Foods bags with food, and was looking at them, when apparently he turned around and starting following right behind the last person of the group.

maybe he thought I was gonna take the food!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Wierd all he had was the clothes on his back up the trail. maybe he has a shelter downstreem from 1st h20