Mount Mills Approach and Twin Lakes Fishing

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Went fishing in the Eastern Sierra's last Tuesday, on the way spent the night in Bishop and borrowed friends car at 3AM to go play in the Mosquito Flats area and attempt a quick run up to the approach to Mount Mills.

The elevations above 11,500 feet were covered in 3 to 5 inches of fluffy powder making all the boulder hoping in the dark a little crazy, shins took some beating but made it to the last rock piles before the base of Mills around 12,600. If I had more time I would have kept going but told my friend I would be back to the hotel in Bishop by 11 AM. Made it back by 10:30 with time to spare.

Pictures here - http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww28 ... =slideshow

Then headed up to Twin Lakes to fish for four days right after the hike was complete, was lucky to catch some fish and some great wildlife pictures here :D See below.

Patriots flying the flag just above Bishop
Front side of Blue Jay sitting in the tree above us on the first evening of fishing
Backside of Blue Jay in tree next to fishing spot
Holding up some of the catch
Mother Deer Feeding Baby Deer
Deer staring at me
Baby Buck
Five Point Buck
Five Point Buck up close
Fish just before cooking
Well feed Hawk on the approach to Twin Lakes

The rest of the fishing pictures are here - http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww28 ... =slideshow
Enjoy :D
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very, very cool!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice stuff.

Cool pics of the Steller's Jay. Beautiful blue color and black crest. Noisy bastards though!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

really nice pictures!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Awesome pix, Patrick--truly a trip to remember!
I haven't had breakfast yet and those trout are making me hungry! 8)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice pictures there of Mt. Mills area. And great pictures of the wildlife near Twin Lakes.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

HikeUp wrote:Nice stuff.

Cool pics of the Steller's Jay. Beautiful blue color and black crest. Noisy bastards though!
I'm not sure if they're laughing at my ability to catch fish or they want some but to say they are "Noisy Bastards" is an understatement. They make so much noise you think it's a big creature coming to get you, no doubt about it, but boy are they beautiful, wish we had some/more down here to see in the wild.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

This will shut them up.

Grilled Steller Jay with Bacon
2 stellar jay breasts
3 strips bacon, diced
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. honey
8 haricot verts (long, French green beans)
1/2 tsp. cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Marinate breasts in olive oil, garlic and cilantro for at least 2 hours. Grill on both sides until done.Meanwhile, heat bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat and reder out the fat. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat. Add onions and sauté with the bacon until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add sherry vinegar and reduce until it’s almost dry. Add honey and simmer until it thickens slightly. Add haricot verts, cilantro, salt and pepper and simmer for another minute. Serve with grilled stellar jay breasts.

:D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Will anyone that consumes the Stellar Jay become "Loud and Obnoxious" like the bird? :D That I can do without in the wilderness
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:Will anyone that consumes the Stellar Jay become "Loud and Obnoxious" like the bird? :D That I can do without in the wilderness
I'm not sure consuming a Stellar Jay is the only cause to become 'Loud and Obnoxious". Look at F.O. for example. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

EnFuego wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:Will anyone that consumes the Stellar Jay become "Loud and Obnoxious" like the bird? :D That I can do without in the wilderness
I'm not sure consuming a Stellar Jay is the only cause to become 'Loud and Obnoxious". Look at F.O. for example. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not to beat a dead horse or to make fun but I don't have to "Look at F.O." anymore - there is a God - and no one else has to listen to that crap anymore - except maybe the "San Bernardo Folks" sorry :oops:

The "Boy Who Cried Wolf" will not be crying on this board any longer :shock: And the Football shit will be kept on boards that care about that crap - this is thank God for hiking and climbing.
norma r

Post by norma r »

great photos Patrick! sounds like your Sierra trip was everything you wanted it to be. :D :D

seeing the trout makes me really want to carry a pole next time i am in the backcountry. it's been decades since i tasted the flavor of fresh pan fried trout. Yum! i'll skip the Stellar's Jay though!! :oops:

when i hiked though Little Lakes Valley this last Friday on a sunny warm day, most of the snow dusting you saw had melted from the peaks, but we know it's back now and heavier. WooHoo!

Fri 10/9/09 Bear Creek Spire, Pip-squeak Spire, Hourglass Couloir and Mount Dade
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Super trip report. Thanks for posting.

Here is another little one getting a drink near Lone Pine Lake, August 16, 2000.