Retrieval of memorial register at Mount Whitney

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

On September I and a group of friends summitted Mount Whitney. We set out from Horshoe meadow on 9/8 and traveled by way of New army pass, rock creek, Sky blue lake, Discovery pinnacle, and trail crest.
The week preceeding the trip saw the tragic death of two friends from the Station fire, and I thought it would be cool to set out a small memorial of the two (Ted Hall and Arnie Quinones) at the register on top so others could share their thoughts in a memory book for the families.
The photo and memory book were to be retrieved by a friend who had planned to retrieve it on 9/30/09.
Weather and other circumstances prevented my buddy from grabbing it.
I was wondering if any SGMD members who were planning a Whitney trip anyway would consider retrieving the photo and memory book. I would of course re-imburse postage etc.
If you can help PM me.
Thanks. 8)Image
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Bill, do you have access to the Whitney Portal Message board?

I'm sure that the locals up there would be glad to help you out.
Bill

Post by Bill »

lilbitmo wrote:Bill, do you have access to the Whitney Portal Message board?

I'm sure that the locals up there would be glad to help you out.
Yup. That's a good thought. I will post a request.
Thanks! 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:On September I and a group of friends summitted Mount Whitney. We set out from Horshoe meadow on 9/8 and traveled by way of New army pass, rock creek, Sky blue lake, Discovery pinnacle, and trail crest.
The week preceeding the trip saw the tragic death of two friends from the Station fire, and I thought it would be cool to set out a small memorial of the two (Ted Hall and Arnie Quinones) at the register on top so others could share their thoughts in a memory book for the families.
The photo and memory book were to be retrieved by a friend who had planned to retrieve it on 9/30/09.
Weather and other circumstances prevented my buddy from grabbing it.
I was wondering if any SGMD members who were planning a Whitney trip anyway would consider retrieving the photo and memory book. I would of course re-imburse postage etc.
If you can help PM me.
Thanks. 8)Image
That's really cool.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Bill-

Uh-oh. I didn't see the memorial there on 09/22/09:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Mike P wrote:Bill-

Uh-oh. I didn't see the memorial there on 09/22/09:
:shock:
I see the flags there. Could it have been placed under the Whitney register?
I do have an address on the cover, and I think I left instructions on it.
Hopefully it will turn up soon.
The intent was to give people a chance to share their thoughts. Be nice to give it to the families if a few people did. :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I didn't look under the register. Sorry 'bout that.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Hey, I was up there today. The pictures were gone, one of the flags was gone and the other one was snapped in half and people have been writing some pretty disgraceful stuff in there. I wasn't sure what your plans were for the book. I left it in there... didn't know if someone else had come for it and left it there on purpose...
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:The pictures were gone, one of the flags was gone and the other one was snapped in half and people have been writing some pretty disgraceful stuff in there.
What a bummer.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Zach wrote:Hey, I was up there today. The pictures were gone, one of the flags was gone and the other one was snapped in half and people have been writing some pretty disgraceful stuff in there. I wasn't sure what your plans were for the book. I left it in there... didn't know if someone else had come for it and left it there on purpose...
Zach,
Thanks for checking. Another guy from Whitney portal discussion agreed to retreive it, although I have not yet heard from him.
I like to think that a majority of Whitney hikers are good people who would sympathize with the families of Arnie and Ted.
It's possible they misunderstood the intent of the memorial.
Another case of a few knuckleheads casting a stain on the majority. :?
Very sad!
As for snapping the flag? I don't get that either! :?
Amazing! Apparently 3 year olds have successfully climbed the highest mountain in the continental US. :shock:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's a sad day when a man putts up a memorial to fallen hero's and others deface it, steal it or write negative things.

Bill wanted to thank you for putting up the memorial :D - it's people like you that give me hope :D . It's amazing how many people forget those that died to protect us, :shock: our freedoms, :shock: our right to even climb Mount Whitney - typically without "Bullets or Mortars" flying over our heads. :shock:

On the subject of fires I'm hoping you and your family are safe there in Wrightwood, that you got home safely, that no damage was done, that having to evacuate wasn't to stressful?

Lastly, in case some of you did not hear this story, it's heartbreaking to say the least - I love dogs and I appreciate all those that help them and take care of them, see story at the link below, read the whole blog page.

http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/in ... ic=14483.0
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Bill wrote:I like to think that a majority of Whitney hikers are good people who would sympathize with the families of Arnie and Ted.
It's possible they misunderstood the intent of the memorial.
Another case of a few knuckleheads casting a stain on the majority. :?
Very sad!
As for snapping the flag? I don't get that either! :?
Amazing! Apparently 3 year olds have successfully climbed the highest mountain in the continental US. :shock:
I would hope that most three-year-olds are better-behaved than that! :cry:
Bill

Post by Bill »

lilbitmo wrote:It's a sad day when a man putts up a memorial to fallen hero's and others deface it, steal it or write negative things.

Bill wanted to thank you for putting up the memorial :D - it's people like you that give me hope :D . It's amazing how many people forget those that died to protect us, :shock: our freedoms, :shock: our right to even climb Mount Whitney - typically without "Bullets or Mortars" flying over our heads. :shock:

On the subject of fires I'm hoping you and your family are safe there in Wrightwood, that you got home safely, that no damage was done, that having to evacuate wasn't to stressful?

Lastly, in case some of you did not hear this story, it's heartbreaking to say the least - I love dogs and I appreciate all those that help them and take care of them, see story at the link below, read the whole blog page.

http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/in ... ic=14483.0
Thanks lilbitmo for the kind words! 8) Everyone is doing well and evacuation was smooth.
I was unaware of the forest service employees plight! :shock:
I will see if there is anything we can do to help.
Man thats alot of stuff to happen to that poor guy. :?