Falling Rock Canyon 10/4/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

with the reopening of the Baldy area Dave G and i met at Icehouse Canyon for a short hike. i had to start late because of family commitments and Dave had needed to end the hike by 3pm also because of a family commitment. (we were late, but all worked out thankfully.) so off we went at 10:30 from IHC up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario Peak, traversed to Icehouse Saddle and ran most of the way back to the TH.

we skipped tagging the summit since time was of the essence and only saw one other person a trail runner on Ontario Peak, who had come up via the south canyon by Chapman Ranch. we did see others on the Icehouse trail, but not the usual weekend traffic.

the Class 3 scrambles up Falling Rock Canyon were fun and next time (with more time) we will investigate the area by the falls. the highlight of our day was seeing three Big Horn rams just above FRC. they were not afraid of us and we had the opportunity to watch them calmly scratch the ground and eat grass and branches. finally after 10 mins we headed back on our hike. i have some pix, not the best, as my zoom is not working properly.

it was CHILLY out there yesterday and Autumn has arrived!

highlight:

pix from the day: http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... CanyonHike
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Norma, I opened the other TR before I saw this one, so never mind, your TR answers all the questions on which way you went and what time.

Lilbitmo

By the way nice work on FRC and nice pic's of the ram's.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

What beautiful pictures, and a Sheep sighting to boot! Thanks for sharing.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Nice Pics, good job Norma.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Where is Chapman Ranch?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

TacoDelRio wrote:Where is Chapman Ranch?
Not sure, Ryan. I gotta do a little research on that. I first thought he came up Sheep Canyon, but now I don't think so. He said he was friend of Norman Ollstad, the guy who wrote the book Crazy For the Storm, and that there is still wreckage from the plane crash in the canyon, but you have to get around private property (Chapman Ranch) to get to it(?).

Maybe someone here can shed some light :idea:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

He came from the north?