Mt. Baldy 2009-10-03

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked Mt. Baldy today going up the Ski Hut Trail and down the Devils Backbone. We saw the sign on the gate, but ignored it as did many others. The Sierra Club has posted a fee schedule at the Ski Hut.

The Register Ridge trail is worn to a use trail at both ends. Someone built a small cairn to mark the intersection with the Backbone Trail.

Coming down the Backbone, we turn a corner and see a huge cloud of smoke. Holy Shit! The forest is on fire again. Hardly open a week and already burning. Enough already.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ROCK RINGS""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Cool, fire!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Lilbitmo and I were on Ice House Saddle Sunday and heard copters all morning near the fire area.
norma r

Post by norma r »

EnFuego wrote:Lilbitmo and I were on Ice House Saddle Sunday and heard copters all morning near the fire area.
missed runnung into you guys! :?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote:
EnFuego wrote:Lilbitmo and I were on Ice House Saddle Sunday and heard copters all morning near the fire area.
missed runnung into you guys! :?
We started at 7 AM and made the saddle at 8:20 AM and left by 8:35 AM, in the car and gone by 9:45 AM, it was freezing at the saddle, I had shorts and T-shirt until I reached the saddle then broke out the gloves and wind breaker - wind gust were in the 20+ range and steady wind was at 20 mph, Enfuego left his gloves at home so we decided to high tail it out of there.

Both of us had to be places - what time did you get there? Did you go up one way down another? Would have loved to stop and chat with you :D

I'm leaving tomorrow for Bridgeport fishing trip but will stop in and try to grab 1-3 peaks above Bishop on Wednesday morning (Abbot, Mills, Dade) will play it by ear as I'm leaving my friend at the hotel in Bishop and will get back to him by noon when he has to check out.

Are you or Dave heading that way this week/weekend?

:D
norma r

Post by norma r »

lilbitmo wrote:Are you or Dave heading that way this week/weekend?
as of this moment i don't have plans to go to the Sierra this week/weekend. but i can always be convinced to meet for day hikes!...
:)