Baldy Update

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Called the ranger station, and he told me to call back next Friday. Let's hope that it opens up next week. My San Gorgonio summits are starting to catch up to my Baldy ones' becuase of the closure. Have a good weekend all.

Jeff S
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

I also just called the visitor center in the village and they did say that the lifts will be running this weekend but once up at the Notch, you are pretty much restricted to that area only and hiking is still prohibited.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I'd be surprised if the Baldy area opened this weekend with the Red Flag Warning. My guess is that they'll open up that area once fire season come to an end, which might be when we get snow/rain.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

According to the ranger at the Baldy visitors center, the trails up there are all open as of this morning.

Kathy - nobody more surprised by this than me!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

lik2hik - I'm really surprised, but that's great news for us hikers.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Just to make sure, I actually went up to Icehouse Canyon trail and walked on it with my own 2 feet. The trails ARE open!
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

This is great news.
I thought closing the Baldy Area because of a fire so far away was a poor decision, I find it interesting that they reopen on the first santa ana wind day since the start of all this.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

FWIW

I didn't go past the gate. I just went to IHC instead.