Bear Flats (Mt. Baldy) Feb 2, 2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dvansoye

Post by dvansoye »

Last Saturday I soloed Bear Flat, Mt. Baldy. I left my truck at the Visitor's Center in Baldy Village (4300'). It was icy in the morning so I used my YakTrax. I continued until the snow got too deep and switched to MSRs. I made good progress until I left the flats. There is a lot of brush there and because the snow level is so high, I had to scoot under the branches on my stomach (with my backpack and snowshoes). After leaving the wooded area, the pitch of the mountain reached 90% and the trail disappeared. I used the "claws" on the MSRs for traction and continued until it got too hairy. I stopped at 5800'. I actually slipped on the way back falling about 40ft down the slope. I was uninjured and climbed back to the trail.

I'm training for Rainier Winter Skills Seminar with RMI this March. More info here www.rmiguides.com/rainier/winter_programs.html. I would appreciate any suggestions on good hikes in So. Cal that are safe, interesting and accessible. I'm looking for a long stretch with LOTS of elevation gain. I've been using Bear Flats in the past because it gains 6000' in 6 miles (that's got to be some kind of record).

Here are a few pictures from my trip.

Travis

Post by Travis »

Nice Trip Report and welcome aboard! And congratulations for being our 100th member! We have a special avitar for you too if you want it.

If you want steep slopes to practice cramponing and ice axe use (self arrest) the Mount Blady Bowl is a good place to go, but with extreme caution if you are unexperienced. You can read all sorts of info. on our climb up the bowl Superbowl Sunday (https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=255).
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Nice pics dvansoye. That trail is a real but kicker in the summer, and even more so in the winter. Congratulations on being the 100th member!!!!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Welcome 100th member of this young but distinguished forum! Thanks for your report and great pics. Whoa! You were lucky to fall/slide 40 feet and walk away uninjured. Take crampons on any these trails during this current winter season. Even if you don't have to use them, the extra weight is just good insurance.

As for suggested interesting, rigorous trail hikes, try Heaton Flats to Iron Mtn. (8007') About 14 miles round trip with 7200 feet of gain. I don't know what current conditions are on that route so check out the conditions first so you know what gear to bring. I've been up there in past years with snow on the route and only needed hiking boots. But the last half of the route up the ridge is very steep (2,000 feet of gain during the last mile) so if there is any ice on the route you'd better have your crampons or turn around right away.