Discplacement

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

With all those acres burned. We dont even want to think of the wildlife that was lost. But for the creatures that made it out.... Are there gonna be more bears, cougars & deer in the residental areas below the foothills? Im suprised only one bear in a basement story popped up. I did see a small bear on the echo mt trail last week.
Are the animals going more inland to the middle high country? I doubt any dens are safe.................
:?: :?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:With all those acres burned. We dont even want to think of the wildlife that was lost. But for the creatures that made it out.... Are there gonna be more bears, cougars & deer in the residental areas below the foothills? Im suprised only one bear in a basement story popped up. I did see a small bear on the echo mt trail last week.
Are the animals going more inland to the middle high country? I doubt any dens are safe.................
:?: :?
My guess is they are dying
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Cougarmagic, we had a mountain lion walk down my street two nights ago at dusk. Don't know if it is Curt's cat or one that was displaced by the Morris fire.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Mike, it wouldn't hurt to spread the word around your neighborhood again about keeping pets inside. And I would venture the whole "inside at night" thing no longer applies, but rather 24/7 now.

Do you know of any groups that do wildlife rehabilitation? I've been wondering, too, about restoration and if things like putting out watering stations, like they do for the bighorns, would help. Our friend in Big T said the water in the river is "black and gooey".
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

cougarmagic wrote:Mike, it wouldn't hurt to spread the word around your neighborhood again about keeping pets inside. And I would venture the whole "inside at night" thing no longer applies, but rather 24/7 now.

Do you know of any groups that do wildlife rehabilitation? I've been wondering, too, about restoration and if things like putting out watering stations, like they do for the bighorns, would help. Our friend in Big T said the water in the river is "black and gooey".
J, I believe that most of the neighborhood is aware.

As for wildlife rehab: I know of a group or two that will take care of birds but I don't know of any local large mammal rescue/rehab outfits.

When I was on Chaney Trail yesterday the place where I was working maintains water in the back of the property for wildlife. They said they have had a ton of deer come through as well as their bobcat. I suspect that the animals are very thirsty. Short term help for the animals may be a good idea but there are certainly big risks in possibly drawing animals nearer to homes and becoming habituated. I don't know how easily guzzlers could be set up in the forest.

The biggest water issues may occur later when the first rains turn every waterway in the burn area into black goo.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Nice! Go bobcat!!

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

LOL! That's the one!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:Do you know of any groups that do wildlife rehabilitation?
I believe the Wildlife Waystation does in Little Tujunga. If it is still there.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
cougarmagic wrote:Do you know of any groups that do wildlife rehabilitation?
I believe the Wildlife Waystation does in Little Tujunga. If it is still there.
Yes, according to their website they rehab and release. Thanks, HJ!