Trail food.

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Plz post what you like to take on hikes........I've been hooked on this dried fruit medley all of a sudden. mango pinaple papaya
and i like jerky alot too. but rarley take it any more
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dehydrated Guinness.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hydrated Guinness.
;-)

Though it's not perfect, I've been bringing top-notch sourdough bread, and string cheese. Make a sammich with it, and it's great.

Small cans of Vienna sausages are great.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

i been thinking of packing a brew and keeping next to a half frozen camelbak bladder. but always keep thinking wont stay cool by time i summit or get to piont of return!!!!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

This saves lots of weight 8)

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

1. Trader Joe's hummus and pita bread. I wrap the hummus in a fleece and stuff it into the center of my pack so it's not touching any pack walls. It usually is still cold when it comes to lunch time. On multiday trips in cooler weather, I put the hummus in a zip lock in the foot of my sleeping bag and then roll the sleeping bag up around it. It lasts for days. De-freaking-licious.

2. Pop tarts. 'Nuff said.

3. Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa. Beats the pants off all other brands. Get some.

4. Victory chocolate. Every peak I summit or every hard hike I take, I bring chocolate to celebrate that I've reached my objective. Acceptable substitutes: Guiness, Sake, etc. Hike your own hike; pick your own reward. :)

5. Clif shots/Gu shots. Yes, I know these are essentially just expensive sugar and that you can get the same effect by sucking on hard candy, but I find them easy to consume rapidly while in motion. I keep some in the pockets in my belly band (that's a hip belt for you youngsters), pull one out when I'm fading in late afternoon, suck the whole thing down, and keep on truckin'. Fast and effective.

6. Trout. After several days on the trail eating freeze dried crap etc, trout is so freaking good that you can't believe it. Takes time though and there's no guarantee that you can catch any (this is more for the Sierra than the San Gabs).

7. Trader Joes chocolate covered espresso beans or cocoa covered almonds. Good stuff (provided it's not so hot that they melt). Food that's so tasty that you'll eat it even when you're cold and miserable. Lots of calories for those nights you stumble into camp late and and are just too fried to cook.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

DamOTclese wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:2. Pop tarts. 'Nuff said.
But that comes with 12 miles of electric cord and the toaster that you have to carry.
Use the magnifying glass in your survival kit. You're slipping there, Dam.
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Cheese, crackers (good quality ones) and extra-dry salami (the stuff with the white-powder coating on it). Throw in some fruit, some angel-hair pasta or ramen, and you've got a simple overnight food kit. Cocoa also tastes good, and flavored oatmeal always works for breakfast.

Pop Tarts just don't work for me; its that combo of semi-cooked imitation pastry, over-sugared icing, and artifically flavored filling-YUCK!. I'd rather pack Twinkies!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

phydeux wrote:Twinkies!
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

Triple-Threat Brownie(adults only).......to start the day right...washed down with ice cold beer (sunset something) tastes like berry

at ralphs they sell these pepperoni or salami circles for like 3.00 each
then a bolio (french roll) cheap and good like .20 each with mayo/mustard/relish packets from "the hat"
a small bag of pretzels and a small .99 cent bag of some mexican cookies that are called wafers..
a banana
an orange

Gorp ( almonds, craisins, cornuts )

when i get back to my ride after a long day/night i like having an ice cold half gallon of 1% choc. milk from the altadena drive thru dairy in montebello......great stuff

this is only if im doing over 15 miles with over 3,000 ft of gain

anything under that i only bring water, gorp, essentials, and 420....lol

life is good
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Rice balls
Grilled salmon flake
Sour pickled plum
Seasoned sea weed

Pizza - taste good when you sweat

Deli Creations - MRE civilian style

Clif bars & gel

Gatorage

My recent addition is candies. A tiny candy can go for half a mile (maybe a quarter :D )when you're tired.

Carboload a day or two before, on a trail, eat before you feel hungry, drink before you feel thirsty.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yamaya wrote:Gatorage
You bring pissed off alligators? :shock:
HikeUp wrote:
phydeux wrote:Twinkies!
Hey! No fair including health food.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gatorage just might become someone's user title...

GOING ONCE... GOING TWICE...

JIM, YOU'RE MY OFFICIAL USER TITLE APPROVAL GUY. GO.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

How 'bout regular ole nuts, raisins, M&M's, & Fritos. My poor-man's version of GORP.

Another one of our guys always takes up a Subway sandwich bought the night before. The Subway folks put all the fixings into separate small containers which you then put together on the trail.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Gatorage just might become someone's user title...

Sold! :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

For a dayhike, - oranges, dried cranberries, fast food....
Possible overnight/Overnite - add tasty bite indian food, cheese, maybe some pine nuts.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Bam.

We aim to please.

We never specified who we aim to please, though.
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Gatorage just might become someone's user title...

Sold! :lol:
I'll call my lawyer to send you a consent to agree on use of the word, I retain the copyright. :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Battle of the lawyers begins!