Sierra Madre Search and Rescue (SMSR) is recruiting!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

Hi everybody,

In case you haven't seen the flyers out at the local trailheads, the Sierra Madre Search and Rescue Team is considering applications for the next training class starting at the beginning of 2010. To find out more, visit our website: http://smsr.org.

Stay safe!

Barbara
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

bump. i nominate Tacohelrio to volunteer and fight these fires! :cry:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh cool.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:bump. i nominate Tacohelrio to volunteer and fight these fires! :cry:
I ahve two new super soakers I can donate to Taco.
ltjeremysmith

Post by ltjeremysmith »

I can promise you no firefighting is involved, though we did have to do a little bear rescuing yesterday that local FD would have taken care of if things weren't so actively going up in flames nearby.

Jeremy Smith
SMSR
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

was it a small black bear below echo mt?
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

Yep, that is her. Not a typical rescue call, but every rescue is unique.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

i knew it. saw it on the echo trail and then it ran away
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

I guess I should have been more specific. The bear is the one pictured in the Pasadena Star News. The bear was located under a house in Sierra Madre and had been under the house for more than 24 hours. Echo Mt is a considerable distance from Sierra Madre, but I am not familiar with the typical range of a bear in our area.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I love bears. Bears kick ass.

Tell you what... once I'm done with school and have a real good job, I'll look into joining. Was interested in West Valley SAR... they have my favorite area as their AOR.
Sastrugi

Post by Sastrugi »

bump
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Reckon I'll sticky this topic as an announcement, so it will remain up top!
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

Hi everyone,

Our application period is closing for the year very soon, so if you have been thinking about sending one in, please do so. If you don't think it is the right time or hobby for you, tell your friends. We need good mountaineers who know the local area, and most people I see posting here fit the bill.

Application is online at smsr.org.

Stay safe!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I was on Baldy on Sunday, 1/3/10.
It was a magnificent, yet overly warm winter day, and I was pleased to meet many of you who were out practicing your self belay skills.
I thanked many of your SAR team personally for your dedication and willingness to put yourself at risk to help those in trouble in the mountains.
However, I do have an issue to raise for discussion.

My regular hiking/climbing/skiing partner was camped alone when y'all took over the campsite he was occupying while he was en route to the summit.
When he returned -- and saw that he was at the LA equivalent of "Everest Base Camp" -- he subsequently packed up and left.
I expected to meet up with him early on Sunday morning.

Baldy is a big mountain. Don't you think it was appropriate to respect another camper's site selection, and find your own private Idaho?
There were many ideal "campsites" that were vacant....
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

Just to give a bump to the thread and note current recruiting activities for 2012.....

Sierra Madre Search & Rescue is actively recruiting and looking to start a new training class in January 2012. The basic requirements for membership are that you must be 25 years of age or older, be an experienced outdoorsman, and live within 20 minutes of Sierra Madre.
For more information see http://smsr.org/content/view/14/45/
thewolfeinmaine

Post by thewolfeinmaine »

Too bad I live 39 minutes away, now that I have my own business and can take the time off to help out.

My uncle Lawrence C Shepherd knew Fred Lalone very well and used to help out with the team in the 50's.