snakes on baldy

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

there sure is a lot of them....between manker and the ridge above the ski hut i seen 5 snakes...i almost stepped on one...one was about 6 inches from my ankle hidden in the bush as you cross the stream by the hut...another between the front door and outhouse of the ski hut....another darted across the trail as i was into my music and surprised me enough where i almost fell....and just as i thought everything was over
another one said good bye by the falls...weird looking small fat red snake

watch your step....even laurie the host of the ski hut said she has seen more snakes this year than ever...besided the snakes the rain made the mounatin smell wonderful..baldy is such a great place..i never get tired of dragging myself up there...solo hiking with mp3 player is awesome...
simonov

Post by simonov »

Yeah, this guy rattled at my hiking partner earlier this month from about three feet away, just below Icehouse Saddle:

My hiking buddy was from Ohio and had never seen a rattlesnake before. He was so surprised and unnerved fell backwards and the guy walking behind me said all he could see were two feet sticking up in the air.
Nunc est bibendum
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I never see them. I must not be paying attention.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

hvydrt wrote:I never see them. I must not be paying attention.
Same here. I've seen just one rattler in over a year of living, hiking, and biking here. Done almost all the trails in the Baldy/Wrightwood area at least once, including quite a bit of off-trail hiking. I think they're just scared of me. :D
Zach

Post by Zach »

there are no snakes on the summit of baldy itself...

not enough O2
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Zach wrote:there are no snakes on the summit of baldy itself...
Well then... now it's finally settled, I know where I'll build my cabin!

The only thing that needs to be sorted out now - how much to pay some of you REAL hikers to haul up pastrami sandwiches on a daily basis. Oh, and the beer...