Mt. Whitney 8/18/09

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Liz

Post by Liz »

At the last minute, I decided to try for a cancellation permit to hike Whitney. Got it! I started at the trailhead at 4:30 AM and reached the summit at 9:15. It was my fourth time on the summit, and my first time day hiking it at my own pace. Next time...faster!

The weather was amazing! I'll be back on this big boy on September 12.

Pics are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 969252521/
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

Nice, that's quick! 2.3 mph average for 6000' elevation gain is not anything less than a brisk pace.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks! I didn't think the time wasn't too bad, considering I didn't push muself too hard and I don't run at all. Made it down the mountain in 3 hours, 45 min.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Wow! 4:45 up and 3:45 down are about half my time. We were last on Whitney in 2003. This year, we won the permit lottery and have one for Labor Day. Don't expect times like these, though.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Spectacular pictures Liz. Thanks for sharing.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

So I see you where charmed by the Marmot Sirens of Mt Whitney too

See the smirk on this one after it made me think it was a tubby tabby !

Grinning like the Cheshire Cat I say!

Grrrrr

Nice going, super time

Liz

Post by Liz »

Ha ha!

I've been on Whitney 4 times, and hiked the whole JMT. I've seen my share of marmots, yet I cannot resist snapping a pic of them! I think they are so darn cute...well, of course until they are chewing on your pack, right? LOL
simonov

Post by simonov »

jeffd wrote:Nice, that's quick! 2.3 mph average for 6000' elevation gain is not anything less than a brisk pace.
Yikes! I was thinking of asking you to accompany me up Rabbit Peak later this year, but now I'm pretty sure you are way too fast for me.
Nunc est bibendum
Liz

Post by Liz »

Where is Rabbit Peak, anyway? And, I do go more slowly when hiking with a buddy. I'm never SLOW but when I'm being social, I'm not racing uphill.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Liz wrote:Where is Rabbit Peak, anyway? And, I do go more slowly when hiking with a buddy. I'm never SLOW but when I'm being social, I'm not racing uphill.
Rabbit Peak is one of the most challenging summits in SoCal:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html
https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=286
https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=518

What's attractive about it is how while everyone and his cat has been to the top of Whitney, you won't meet many people who have been to the top of Rabbit Peak.

I tried once early last year, as an overnight, and was eventually driven off Villager Peak by lousy weather. I'd like to attempt it in a day this winter.
Nunc est bibendum
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'm ALWAYS up for challenging!
norma r

Post by norma r »

i have yet to do Rabbit/Villager. if you plan it, i would be interested in joining you.