raccoon, bear butt at Reed Spring

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Things I learned from Wikipedia:
The word raccoon is derived from the Algonquin word ahrah-koon-em—other transcriptions exist—which was the pronunciation used by Chief Powhatan and his daughter Pocahontas, meaning "[the] one who rubs, scrubs and scratches with its hands".[8] Similarly, Spanish colonists adopted the Spanish word mapache from the Nahuatl word mapachitli of the Aztecs, meaning "[the] one who takes everything in its hands".

Interesting critters actually - they are very, very distantly related to bears (maybe), but have their own genus - Procyon. Very smart animals too.

The idea here was that animals would come to this small pool right off the trail to drink, and I would get their faces...did not work as planned. I think this bear is the mama bear (based on her size) of Gary Valle's bear cubs :http://www.photographyontherun.com/Bear ... Trail.aspx

Also happened upon the late papa bear, may he rest in peace...or pieces as the case may be.

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

very cool. so was this off the south fork trail?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Actually right on the south fork trail, about a mile down from Islip Saddle. The water is flowing much less than it was two weeks ago - might dry up altogether, I think.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

damn your pretty good at tracking these critters.........and they're remains. you should excavate that for a musuem or some thing