Perseid Meteor Shower 09

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

last year from the the shores of cathedral lake i was blown away by the nite sky.....even the ranger i ran into the next morning was in awe...

this year looks to be not as good due to the moon but still might be fun....

im taking the kids to lembert dome and we will lay out till the morning comes then make our way slowly towards red's.......life is good

are any of you going anywhere special or have you had any good experiences watching the perseids ?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I read some thing about this last year. Lots of people go up to waterman and watch i beleive........Wish i had one of those fat little portable telescopes! :idea:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

My family has rented a house at Stinson Beach about this time in August for about 40 years. When I was a kid, about 20 of us would sleep on the beach and follow asleep counting shooting stars (if it wasn't foggy) always a good time.

I'll be up in Big Bear this weekend, hopefully I'll catch some.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Pretty good show last night, moon was pretty bright but saw a peak at 12-1am of 53 in 1 hour. Parked on hwy 2. A lot seemed to come in clusters, even saw 4 all at once. Badass night
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Only saw a few. I was on GMR/GRR. Tried to get away from some of the light pollution by going near the San Dimas Experimental Forest Gate on GRR, but it wasn't much better.

Ended up going to Tommy's at 3am and clogging my arteries with my buddies.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Ended up going to Tommy's at 3am and clogging my arteries with my buddies.
You put your buddies into your arteries? :shock:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

when is the maeteor shower supposed to end. ill drive up to islip saddle sat night if theres still action in the sky
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Ended up going to Tommy's at 3am and clogging my arteries with my buddies.
You put your buddies into your arteries? :shock:
Yes.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Saw the Perseids from the darkness of Deadman Canyon in Kings Canyon National Park. Pretty decent show before the moon came up...