Travel light

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I want to know more about reducing the load and going farther with less effort. I have already seperated my must haves from unnecessary gear. My focus is now more on food, the right pack & clothing. For all seasons. For a day hike long or short. Or for backpacking how have you improvised?
simonov

Post by simonov »

There's just no way to lighten two liters of wine and four Negra Modelos.
Nunc est bibendum
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch wrote:I want to know more about reducing the load and going farther with less effort. I have already seperated my must haves from unnecessary gear. My focus is now more on food, the right pack & clothing. For all seasons. For a day hike long or short. Or for backpacking how have you improvised?
just get in better shape and quit worrying about it :wink:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Cans instead of bottles.
Bota bag instead of jugs.

As to the original question, most food weight is water; which is why there is dehyrated food.
Eliminate all the packaging you can and stick to some basics or go expensive and use dehydrated.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I don't think it matters if the food is dehydrated, dried, or whatever.

If you have food that contains water (like fruit), then that water essentially counts as water you would drink otherwise. In the send (save wasted food), it shouldn't matter.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

[/quote]

just get in better shape and quit worrying about it :wink:[/quote]

Hike smarter not harder :idea:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Try freeze dried water. Cuts down on wieght nearly 72%.
:lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch wrote: Hike smarter not harder :idea:

lol...better conditioning makes the hikes easier
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:I don't think it matters if the food is dehydrated, dried, or whatever.

If you have food that contains water (like fruit), then that water essentially counts as water you would drink otherwise. In the end ... it shouldn't matter.
Well, yes and no.

When backpacking in the desert, freeze dried food often doesn't cut weight much because you have to pack in all your water.

Elsewhere, with a little planning, you can usually camp where there's a water source. When water is available at your camp site, freeze dried food can make a big difference in terms of weight. If you carried a lot of "regular" (i.e. hydrated) foods on a five day trip, you're carrying all that water weight the whole trip rather than just picking up the water as you go.

Of course freeze dried food generally requires a stove and fuel (or a wood fire and the knowledge of how to cook with a wood fire). From what I've read, the stove and fuel+freeze dried food saves weight, particularly on longer hikes.

Beyond food and water, look at the "big three:"
1. shelter
2. sleeping system
3. backpack

Those three are usually the heaviest components of your gear. With respect to those:
1. SHELTER: I used to use my old North Face 2-person tent on all my trips, even solos, which weighs 7 pounds. Now, I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL which weighs 3 pounds, saving 4 pounds. In the Sierra, even in summer, it's nice to have a tent because it can rain and because a tent provides a mosquito-free haven. In So Cal in the summer, you really don't need a tent. You can go with a tarp, a bivvy, or just sleep "under the stars," all of which will save you even more weight.

2. SLEEPING SYSTEM: I stopped using my old three pound synthetic bag and bought a one pound down bag, saving 2 pounds. I bought a 3/4 length 1" thick Thermarest (less than one pound) to replace my old full length 1.5" thick Thermarest (about two pounds), saving (at least) a pound. Total sleeping system savings: 3 pounds.

3. BACKPACK: My old Lowe Alpine pack weighs 6 pounds empty. My new GoLite Quest pack weighs 3 pounds empty, saving 3 pounds.

From changing my big three, I saved a total of ten pounds.

Likewise, you can go through all your gear, substituting gear of lesser weight. For example, a regular 1 liter Nalgene bottle weighs 6 oz. A one liter platypus weighs about 1/2 oz. If you carry six liters, you're up around 2 pounds if you use Nalgenes vs. 3 ounces. with Platys -- or less if you buy a larger Platy instead of 6 one liter ones. Yes, the weight savings are less dramatic with smaller amounts of water, but you get the idea. As Colin Fletcher once said, "take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves."

Cut an ounce here, cut an ounce there, and you can really get somewhere. I had my base weight down to about 23 lbs for a 5 day Sierra BP. When food, water (2 liters), and fuel were added in, my pack weight was about 38lbs. That's no ultra light record, but a few years ago my pack would have been over 50lbs for a five day trip.

A word of caution: don't cut too much. On my last Sierra backpack, I carried a Black Diamond Ion** headlamp (1 oz.) vs. my usual Princeton Tec EOS (4 oz). However, the Ion just wasn't bright enough one night when I went for water about 0.2 mi. up the trail. I was in a rocky high altitude area, and the trail was over rock in steep terrain. I repeatedly got off trail, and really couldn't tell what I was getting in to. It's not worth it to save 3 oz. and put your self at risk of injury. Cut weight? Yes. Compromise safety? No. I still carry my 13 oz (ouch) PLB 406 MHz satellite beacon.

Just some ideas,

HJ

*Base weight = pack weight without "consumables" like food, water, and fuel.
**Please note that I have the older (2 LED) model of the Ion. I have no comment on the newer (1 LED) model of the Ion itself, but I do note that their proprietary 6V batteries cost about $5.00 each whereas a regular alkaline AAA battery can be had for about $1.50 each or even less if you buy in bulk.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Do a shitload of cardio, and just don't bring stuff you don't need.
platypii

Post by platypii »

simonov wrote:There's just no way to lighten two liters of wine and four Negra Modelos.
This comment made me stop and think for a bit about ultralight solutions for backcountry boozing. My first thought was everclear (terrible idea!)

Then with some googling I had a revelation! I humbly submit for your consideration, dehydrated beer:

http://patsbackcountrybeer.com/home.html
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Beyond food and water, look at the "big three:"
1. shelter
2. sleeping system
3. backpack

From changing my big three, I saved a total of ten pounds.
Jim, excellent advice, as usual. :)

I hope you continue to pursue your fantasy of ultra-light as long as possible, because next summer you'll be backpacking with NEW essentials, such as:
-- Diaper bag
-- Bear-proof play pen
-- Extra changes of clothes
-- REI baby food

. . . Rob :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rob wrote:I hope you continue to pursue your fantasy of ultra-light as long as possible, because next summer you'll be backpacking with NEW essentials, such as:
-- Diaper bag
-- Bear-proof play pen
-- Extra changes of clothes
-- REI baby food

. . . Rob :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, a baby backpack was one of the first things I went out and got. lol. I'm already planning to take the poor thing out on the trail a lot.

So, how many months do you think I should wait before teaching her cramponing technique? Dang it's hard to get those step-ins to latch on her booties. :lol: