Valley Forge 1/19-20/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We took some of our scouts to Valley Forge this past weekend for a winter backpack. We had a great time! The temps were rather cold as our Kestrel instruments were reading in the mid 20's at night.

We left Red Box on Saturday morning and took the Gabrielino Trail 2.4 miles to Valley Forge. Several patches of snow were present along the trail and were easily passable. The upper reaches of the West Fork were flowing quite strongly. (This bodes well for this summer.) Parts of the trail are mildly overgrown just west of Valley Forge trail camp. The camp itself is in great condition, however. It was like sleeping on a manicured lawn!

This was my second trip to Valley Forge but my first during winter. (No bugs... no heat!) I recommend this trip for those who need a quick outing or are first-time backpackers. The best sleeping areas are in the most eastern campsites immediately across the Valley Forge creekbed. One needs to go over the old rickety pipe and wood bridge to find these sites.

We left Sunday morning and took the Rincon-Red Box Road for variation and to hike in the sun. Our timing for the trip appears to have been good as it snowed in the canyon the next day.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

At first, I thought this had to do with the Civil War. 8)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yup, but we were thinking it was as cold as the original Valley Forge.

Taco! We gotta' talk about your history knowledge. Valley Forge was part of the Revolutionary War! :D
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

There are many ways to one up on historical lore. Movies like Animal House are of immense value in that department.
"Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now! Cause when the going gets tough.. The tough get goin'. Who's with me?"
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Forget it, he's rolling.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ah crap, I am fail. :cry:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It could be a lot worse! Imagine being a major POTUS candidate and saying in public that you heard a speech by the German President Vladimir Putin. It happened just yesterday. (I won't name the candidate since this is not a political board -- it was presumably just an embarrassing slip anyway.)
Augie

Post by Augie »

Nice report Mike P. I've biked and run to Valley Forge from Red Box many times. Nothing like a little elevation loss on the way in!