Water at Red Rock Flat in the San Gorgonio Wilderness

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I am planning a hike up the South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio summit and was considering getting water for the night at Red Rock Flat, which seems to be the water source closest to the summit coming from the north side.

Does anyone (that means you, Hikin' Jim) know how the water supply is doing there? And are there any tips for finding the spring if I am coming up the Dollar Lake Trail?

Crossposted to the San Gorgonio board.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:I am planning a hike up the South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio summit and was considering getting water for the night at Red Rock Flat, which seems to be the water source closest to the summit coming from the north side.

Does anyone (that means you, Hikin' Jim) know how the water supply is doing there? And are there any tips for finding the spring if I am coming up the Dollar Lake Trail?

Crossposted to the San Gorgonio board.
Who me? :lol:

I posted this on the SG board:
There isn't any water that I'm aware of at Red Rock Flat. There is water a bit further from $ Lake Saddle at High Meadow Springs. High Meadow Springs is pretty doggone reliable.

Let me know if you want more info on High Meadow Springs which is about a mile W of $ Lake Saddle (including the spur trail to the springs). I'll also post this map:

This map shows all the main water sources in the SGW. Obviously South Fork ("Slushy") Meadows isn't a point source and neither is Fish Creek, but this should give you a good idea of where the water points are. There are others, particularly en route to and in the vicinity of Johns Meadow, but the ones marked on the map are the main ones.

HTH,

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

This is Hiking Jim's and he gave me a copy a while back, since his is not showing up I'm just helping him get it to you.

Thank HJ not me.

:D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sorry about that Jim, your picture would not come up the first time I tried to "right click it" and request it show me the picture, so I just went ahead and put another copy up, my bad. :(
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol: