hiking Pains. Knee related

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I`ve recently been getting knee pain outer-lower knee when descending. I do alot of hikes with 4-5k feet elev gain. 10+ miles and in hte middle of the hike or towards the end it comes. I take ibuprofen with me but is just masks the pain. If this is some thing serious or the cause of some permanent damage. i need to know. Im thinking of making a doc appt. But i do alot of running (4 days a week) and feel fine. Is this just from hard impact and shock on the knee? :arrow: :|
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin a while back, and most of my knee pain is gone. I used to run a lot, and did a lot of climbing, so it only got worse. I don't climb ($) but I do run, and the pain went from pretty strong, to almost nonexistant. Good stuff.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I had that kind of knee pain a few years ago in both knees. It got to where I felt it walking down a flight of stairs. I saw an orthopedic surgeon. He diagnosed synovitis - the thin synovial lining of the knee joint was inflammed due to over use. Here is what I have done to eliminate all of the pain in the left knee and most of it in the right:

1. Spend time on the exercise bike to strengthen the quads - strong quads protect the knees.

2, Take a Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM supplement (Triple Flex) daily.

3. Stretch the quads and hamstrings before each hike.

4. Take 2 Alieve before each hike. Use Alieve instead of Motrin because Alieve lasts longer.

5. Use hiking poles especially on the downhill where the knees get the most abuse.

6. No running downhill - take it easy.

7. Wear a Cho-Pat strap on both knees. I use the model that has both an upper and a lower strap.

8. At the end of each hike, I fill 2 gallon baggies with ice and put them on the knees for about 45 minutes. Ice is nice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

1. quit farking running downhill
2. get some poles and use for downhill

do those first, see what happens. if it continues, then look at other options. i'd personally avoid masking the pain repeatedly.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Its only on the right knee. Btw. :roll:
Rob

Post by Rob »

New running shoes, Glucosamine, hiking poles.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Most importantly: Stop growing older!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I think the shoes might be the problem. @ charleston i Came down slower than usual. My knee didnt burn up as usual. but i felt it the day after. I think i have hiked my shoes to death and the tread and arch support is done! and the weight of a pack aint being supported n e more! got a new pair of merrells. have yet to break'em in! :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

edenooch wrote:I think the shoes might be the problem. @ charleston i Came down slower than usual. My knee didnt burn up as usual. but i felt it the day after. I think i have hiked my shoes to death and the tread and arch support is done! and the weight of a pack aint being supported n e more! got a new pair of merrells. have yet to break'em in! :lol:
Speaking of which, how much weight do you carry for say, an average dayhike up Baldy?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

i dont know for sure......
6 liters of fluid. food and camera + Gps, other esentials. Maybe about 15-20 lbs
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Righto. Didn't know if you happened to follow boy scout rules (bring everything, especially heavy sh*t) or not. :lol: