Eaton strikes again...

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=108550@kcbs.dayport.com

Two "inexperienced" hikers, last seen yesterday telling someone they were going to take a "shortcut" at the last waterfall. :roll:

Why do these news stories never say this spot is known for accidents, and isn't a "real" trail? Maybe it wouldn't make a difference I guess...
Bill

Post by Bill »

Did the reporter say her name was Emilia Erhart? How is that for irony? :lol:
I wonder if the rescuer on Air 5 said something like "Livingston I presume?" :lol:
platypii

Post by platypii »

When I read about this in cougar's post, I had some questions, such as why did the search take all night and half the day to find two people on acrophobia ridge? Isn't that where EVERYONE seems to get into trouble? I know that's the first place I would look if I were SAR! Anyway in my googling I found this coverage:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=6912668

With this choice quote:
The men apparently ran out of water, so they drank shampoo and sucked on a magic marker.
:shock:

(PS- Hi everyone! My first post!!)
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

that story is awesome in so many ways. and the report that was just on ch 2 was the cherry on top. They recorded their last farewell's on a camcorder but were way to weak to carry it so they left it somewhere on the trail.
Look for me on the news I'm gonna one up these guys :lol: just need a good story to tell of living on bear droppings, mushrooms, and drinking my own urine because its sterile and I like the taste :mrgreen:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Too bizarre!! Where did the rearview mirror come from??? And for that matter, the marker and shampoo??

And yes, the news chopper pilot's name is Amelia Earhart (maybe a different spelling). WOW, only in LA..... :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's yet another version of the same event.

Pasadena Star News article...
Missing hikers found alive in Altadena foothills
By Alfred Lee, Staff Writer
Posted: 07/13/2009 06:34:54 PM PDT

ALTADENA - A roughly 12-hour search for two missing hikers in Eaton Canyon ended happily Monday afternoon with a rescue helicopter spotting both men "healthy and happy" on a cliff, waving shiny medallions and a blanket to get the attention of rescuers.

The two Los Angeles men, Leonardo Madera, 27, and Jesus Acosta, 28, were transported to Huntington Hospital, but both appeared to be healthy and in good spirits, authorities said.

The men were reported missing Sunday at 11 p.m. after splitting from their companions during a Sunday afternoon hike in the hills above Altadena, officials said. They agreed to meet friends at a waterfall, but didn't show up for several hours.

"They probably missed the mark by about a quarter of a mile," said Dep. Gregory Gabriel, reserve coordinator at the Altadena Sheriff's station. "They took a different route and wound up heading around it ... but they had the smarts to stay where they were."

The two split off from the other three hikers around 1:30 p.m. Sunday when they reached a route dubbed Acrophobia Ridge. Friends said Acosta, who has cerebral palsy, found it difficult to get across.

"We got up the ridge and there was a point in the hike where Jesus didn't feel like his footing was right," said Farrah Rivera, 26, Acosta's girlfriend and one of the other hikers. "We kept saying, `You can do it, you can do it,' but Leo just said he was going to take him up the other way, which they thought was safer."

Acosta and Madera said they would attempt an easier route. When they didn't show up at the waterfall meeting place, or at the parking lot seven hours later, friends decided to check if the two had got back home.

After returning to the hiking route and doing their own search, the friends decided to call rescue services Sunday night.

Rescue teams from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department and volunteer teams from Altadena, Sierra Madre and Montrose took part in the search. A crew of 11 searched until 5 a.m. Monday morning, and the search began again at 7 a.m., with a pair of rescue helicopters aiding the effort.

Officials said the two men had enough water to last more than a day, and enough food for up to three days.

Shortly after noon on Monday, a rescue helicopter spotted the two men waving from a cliff just west of the waterfall where they had originally agreed to meet their friends.

The men were waving reflective medallions and a blue blanket, Gabriel said. At about 12:50 p.m., the helicopter picked them up and flew them to Huntington Hospital.

Rescuers had not planned another night search, thinking that the pair may have found their way out and not yet contacted their friends.

"I'm just thrilled," said Fernando Lodevico, 28, another one of the other hikers, who went up in a helicopter with rescuers to point out their route. "It's good to know they're alive and well."

As of 4:30 p.m. Monday, the two were still in the emergency room at Huntington, where they were being given blood tests and other examinations, according to Lodevico. The two only suffered from "minor scratches and bruises," he said.

alfred.lee@sgvn.com

(626) 578-6300, Ext. 4496
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

The men were waving reflective medallions

thats why I hike with my bling on :D

simonov

Post by simonov »

platypii wrote:The men apparently ran out of water, so they drank shampoo and sucked on a magic marker.
I don't know what's so surprising. Magic markers and shampoo are part of my Ten Essentials. Never leave home without them.
Nunc est bibendum
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

what the fark are they doing with shampoo in the first place?????!!!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp your article doesn't mention shampoo, but says they had enough water to last a few days. wtf is going on?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:HikeUp your article doesn't mention shampoo, but says they had enough water to last a few days. wtf is going on?
Hate to say it, but this is typical news coverage. Gotta meet those deadlines. Check my facts first? Nah, facts are for wussies.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

simonov wrote:
platypii wrote:The men apparently ran out of water, so they drank shampoo and sucked on a magic marker.
That one, that one might be the weirdest 'survival' sentence I've seen in awhile.

Then again, going by smell, my Sun Kissed Raspberry shampoo might be quite tasty in a pinch!

Does anybody have any pics of this infamous Acrophobia Ridge?

Would love to see it without having to lug my bottle of shampoo to the actual site.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
wrote:HikeUp your article doesn't mention shampoo, but says they had enough water to last a few days. wtf is going on?
Hate to say it, but this is typical news coverage. Gotta meet those deadlines. Check my facts first? Nah, facts are for wussies.
Perhaps time to close off access? I dont mind.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Some video footage of the rescue:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/video ... ten_video1

There are three different stories in this clip - the Eaton rescue is the second one.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Were they really lost? From that heli cam it looked like they were STUCK.
theres a bunch of kids that arent hikers that just want to get to all the waterfalls. I think this is what happend!!!