Six Peak Loop on the 5th of July

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Phil (lik2hik) and myself did a nice loop Sunday from Manker Flat. We went up Register Ridge to Harwood, over to Baldy, down to Dawson, over to Pine, back up to Baldy and over to West Baldy.

We both thought it would be hotter than it was and had cached water in the solitary snow slope on Baldy's north side. The weather turned out to be perfect and we ran into some really nice people which made for a great day.

Glad we chose to return via the Ski Hut Trail since San Antonio Creek has provided enough moisture for a beautiful display of wildflowers.

pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... ncoSeisOle#
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wow - tough hike you guys. Nice pictures - is that really the site of the old summit inn?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Norma, good pics (as usual). Yes, that is Iron Mtn in your photo.

So, one question: Why is your photo gallery entitled "Siete, Cinco, Seis, Ole!" (Seven, Five, Six, Ole!)?

Nice area. I was down below you (a day or two before) in the Little Fish Fork/Fish Fork Drainage on the west slopes of Pine and Dawson.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote: So, one question: Why is your photo gallery entitled "Siete, Cinco, Seis, Ole!" (Seven, Five, Six, Ole!)?
Pure guess: July 5th, 6 Peaks

Do I get a prize if I'm correct?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Excellent shots, Norma! They really capture a super day in the San Gabriel's.
I love Pine Mtn. You should make a point of coming up from the Wrightwood side sometime--very pretty country.
What, no pix of Phil's legendary "summit pub" 8) ?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Mike P wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: So, one question: Why is your photo gallery entitled "Siete, Cinco, Seis, Ole!" (Seven, Five, Six, Ole!)?
Pure guess: July 5th, 6 Peaks

Do I get a prize if I'm correct?

Mike P, Bingo! :D Your prize: ticket to a summit pub!

thanks Jim for the Iron ID. when i was on Iron i could not see Baldy (or any other mtn) since we were hiking in a cloud. so i missed out on being able to judge exactly where it is. i think i finally got it.

what i would like to win is a hike with a geologist. i am always wanting to know about the rocks i see and don't know the first thing about them. except i can recognize granite. i think?

HikeUp,
according to John W. Robinson in Trails of the Angeles ...the Baldy Summit Inn built by William B. Dewey was a mere 80' below the top and consisted of two small stone buildings and several tents, fire destroyed most of the camp in 1913 and Dewey never rebuilt...

it's at the right elevation, so this could be it.

Dave G,
can u believe it? we forgot to take a picture as we plastic-clinked "Cheers" on West Baldy! Josh from the high desert saw everything that was in our cache and said he liked it! hey, I definitely want to do Pine from the other side. let's pick a date.

climb on all!
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

Beautiful photos and trip report, I will be headed that way this weekend :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

calicokat,

thanx for the nice comment on the photos. you are the pro! i'm just a hiker with a point & shoot. have a great day out there!
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

HikeUp wrote:Wow - tough hike you guys. Nice pictures - is that really the site of the old summit inn?
Looks like an ol quarry
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

norma r wrote:Mike P, Bingo! :D Your prize: ticket to a summit pub!
Summit pub? I'm there!!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Calicokat-
Nice avatar. What's the story behind it?
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

Thank you. That is the Baldy Bowl from the dead tree forest on the way to Ontario Peak. I used a circular polarizer to get the effect.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

calicokat wrote:Thank you. That is the Baldy Bowl from the dead tree forest on the way to Ontario Peak. I used a circular polarizer to get the effect.
My apologies, Norma, I don't mean to hijack this thread... Calicokat, could you please insert that picture into the body of a reply or, better yet, in a new subject header. I'd like to see that picture in a larger size. Thanks!!!

(If I remember correctly there is a photo thread buried here someplace.)
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

Here you go

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Beautiful! Looks almost like a painting. thanks!