Overnighter Spots

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Any good spots for an overnighter that you guys can recommend? I'm looking for something above 6000' since it's been hot lately.

I know about Cooper Canyon and Little Jimmy. There's also a good spot to camp at the confluence of the creek that comes down from Buckhorn and the creek that flows down Cooper Canyon. I've been to all of those lately and am hoping to do something different. Spots with water preferred.

I was planning on Fish Fork, but my friend can't leave until around 4:30 PM which is pushing it in terms of daylight on a trail that's faint and overgrown.

I've been thinking about Cedar Glen, but would rather not drive east on the 210 after work. The 210 E gets a little ugly during evening rush hour.

Any good suggestions?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Vincent Gulch

Though it was a bit buggy when I was there in May.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:Vincent Gulch
Interesting. I know about the bench between Mine Gulch and Vincent Gulch (site of the old trail camp). It's an excellent camp site. I wasn't sure that I wanted to try for Mine Gulch Camp since it's about 4 miles in IIRC, although as I think about it, it would be a shorter drive than to Lupine CG (no dirt road), so I could get there earlier.

I didn't know about any campsites further up. Probably walked right by 'em before. Where exactly are they? I don't think this is the little stream that runs down some rocks and is a good water point. I think the good water point stream is just above the 5200' contour, yes? The sites you're talking about would be just before you have to cut around a rocky outcrop and almost all the way down into the stream bed in a "narrows" of sorts in Vincent Gulch I think. Do I have that correct? I think I do remember some sites there. I didn't really look around the last time I was there since Mine Gulch was my destination. Any decent spots where you mark the upper camp sites?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Any good spots for an overnighter that you guys can recommend? I'm looking for something above 6000' since it's been hot lately.
Wait, aren't you the one who gives these answers? :P
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Any good spots for an overnighter that you guys can recommend? I'm looking for something above 6000' since it's been hot lately.
Wait, aren't you the one who gives these answers? :P
lol. Yes, but I freely admit that I don't know everything. There's a lot of experience and knowledge to draw from on this board.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yeah Jim
they are right where the arrow is pointing

There is a small site overlooking the narrows and another bit further up

Maybe more but I finally figured out I was going the wrong way :oops:

Matt
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hi Jim,

The earlier spots Matt is talking about have distinct use trails leading to them - which is why it's easy to end up there by mistake instead of on the main trail. The only clue you're going the 'wrong' way is that you start heading up a small canyon, instead of down the big one. Your "rocky outcrop" just below these sites sounds very familiar, and I think that's right. The sites are small - good for one or two tents, but not more, but are very secluded, shady, and nice. I think with a GPS waypoint where the arrow is pointing, or halfway decent map skills, you should find them no problem.

I'm trying to think of other spots for you - but you already know the good ones! West Fork camp is nice, and near water, but will be crowded, or buggy, probably both...There is a dirt road going east from Mt Mooney with a few pullouts that I always thought would be nice for car camping. No good hiking though...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

How about Commanche Camp in Middle Fork of Lytle Creek? Maybe it's not 6ooo'...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:How about Commanche Camp in Middle Fork of Lytle Creek? Maybe it's not 6ooo'...
Mike:
That's a wonderful camp. I really want to get back that way again. Beautiful spot with a lot of cedars.

However, I'm not going to be getting off work until 4:00 or so, and driving East on the 210 after work isn't my idea of fun. That, and I'd never get to Commanche before nightfall. I like setting up camp in daylight if I can. Commanche is a great recommendation, but I'll do that one when I can get free earlier in the day.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just makes me want to get back to Commanche all the more.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:The earlier spots Matt is talking about have distinct use trails leading to them - which is why it's easy to end up there by mistake instead of on the main trail. The only clue you're going the 'wrong' way is that you start heading up a small canyon, instead of down the big one. Your "rocky outcrop" just below these sites sounds very familiar, and I think that's right. The sites are small - good for one or two tents, but not more, but are very secluded, shady, and nice. I think with a GPS waypoint where the arrow is pointing, or halfway decent map skills, you should find them no problem.
O.K. I think I actually do remember those use trails and I think I even followed one for a bit before realizing it wasn't the trail. The trail takes a hard right at that point and goes around the aforementioned rocky outcrop. Hmm. This might be a good pick.

So far I've thought of:
-Little Jimmy
-Cooper Canyon
-"Confluence Camp" (in Cooper Canyon)
-Little Fish Fork
-Upper Fish Fork
-Vincent Gulch (Outcrop Camp?) :wink:
-Mine Gulch Camp
-Cedar Glen Camp

I think there are some spots to camp at Lamel Spring, IIRC.

I wonder if there are any spots by Lilly Spring? (although Lilly isn't a reliable spring and the trail is getting pretty hard to find)

If one removes the constraint of water, there are tons of places to camp like the saddle between Waterman and Twin peaks, the junction of the PCT and the trail down to S. Hawkins, and probably hundreds more if I put my mind to it. I just hate porting a lot of water.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pacifico or Messenger Flats? No hiking required if you get a late start driving up that way.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Both good Choices.

Pacifico from Alder Saddle is a favorite of mine. That might work, although one might have to put up with car campers on top. Hmm, no water, although there might be water at Sheep Head Spring.

Messenger Flats? That's the one over by Lightning Point in the Mt. Gleason area, yes? Haven't been over there in years. Did they ever get the water supply problem figured out? I know they had it off for a long time. I don't know of any hikes to get in except from Trail Canyon, Condor Peak, or up the old beat up trail up Pacoima Canyon. Am I missing a route? PCT goes further north, true?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The PCT goes right through Messenger Flats - it's to the west of Gleason and is a drive up campground I think. Lightning Point is south of Gleason.

As far as water goes at either place, I know nothing but would suggest looking at the PCT water reports since both Messenger Flats and Pacifico are on the PCT.

Drive up and bring your own water, set up camp and then day hike the next 2 days. :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:The PCT goes right through Messenger Flats - it's to the west of Gleason and is a drive up campground I think. Lightning Point is south of Gleason.

As far as water goes at either place, I know nothing but would suggest looking at the PCT water reports since both Messenger Flats and Pacifico are on the PCT.

Drive up and bring your own water, set up camp and then day hike the next 2 days. :)
Ah, yes, 4Jeffrey, that does have good water info. It says that Messenger has no water.

I got a little confused about my springs near Pacifico. There is no Sheep Head Spring. There is a Fountainhead Spring and a Sheep Camp Spring. Fountainhead was running as of 6/21 although it doesn't sound like it has a lot of water, and Sheep Camp was barely trickling. Still, that might work.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I got a little confused about my springs near Pacifico. There is no Sheep Head Spring. There is a Fountainhead Spring and a Sheep Camp Spring. Fountainhead was running as of 6/21 although it doesn't sound like it has a lot of water, and Sheep Camp was barely trickling. Still, that might work.
Fountainhead Spring would have adequate water, I've never seen it dry. Though the name is a bit of a mis-nomer

I went to Sheep Camp on 5/15/08

Sheep camp Spring is more of a wet spot, though with a shovel and a bit of work it would likely produce some usuable water

Fiddleneck Spring closer to Bare Mtn Saddle is probably just a damp spot by now

Seep near Sheep Camp Sprg

Sheep Camp Spring

Sheep Camp
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've settled on Little Fish Fork for tonight. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to keep them in mind for the future.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Can't you camp anywhere in the san gabriels anyways? Even outside of the designated camp sites? I've seen tons of people camping on top of cucamonga and such
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Funyan005 wrote:Can't you camp anywhere in the san gabriels anyways? Even outside of the designated camp sites? I've seen tons of people camping on top of cucamonga and such
Sure. Several of the places discussed above are not official trail camps. I just need a good flat spot -- and a water source. I'm really not into the whole "schlep water up 2000' vertical gain" thing. I've done enough dry camps for a life time already. One never truly appreciates water until one is on foot, parched, in the middle of a dry nowhere.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Ahhhh! I can totally respect that! I'm gonna be heading up for my first overnighter at Kelly's camp after reading all of Simonov's praise about it here next week, glad theres water to drink!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kelly's is a good one. Enjoy.