Baldy 7/1/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Yesterday, I hiked to the top of Mt. Baldy for the 21st time. I took the Bear Flat/Village Trail, primarily because I wanted a good workout, but also because I think the views from the trail are splendid. Doing this hike mid week is nice, as there are no crowds. I saw only a handful of other hikers.

I made it from the trailhead to the top in 2 hours, 58 minutes. Not bad, considering I thought I was moving slowly. After a relaxed time on the summit, I hit West Baldy for the first time. Oh, and on the way down, I noticed a “message” on the ground. I have a picture of it. If you left it- I’d love to know! Lovely, lovely day! Pics are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Liz,

Good report, keep em comin. I have to go to San Jose for 6-8 weeks so I"ll miss Baldy and San Gorgonio. I just hit REI and bought a map of Yosemite...Hopefully I'll be able to do some peak baggin up there...Congrats on your 21st summit...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Liz wrote:.... Mt. Baldy .... Bear Flat/Village Trail .... I noticed a “message” on the ground. I have a picture of it. If you left it- I’d love to know! .... Pics are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/
Liz, as of Friday, 7/3/2009 the message is still on the ground.

Hiker population at Baldy Summit on this Holiday Friday was average for a weekend. On Bear Flat Trail I encountered a couple of dozen hikers. Above 6K ft air temp was comfortable; nevertheless, due to warm temp or low humidity, on descent I had to ration my water -- my previous hikes on this trail were all in cool weather. Also, this was my first post-fire hike on the Village Trail.

. . . Rob :)
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey Rob,

I hope you had a good hike on Baldy! I'm still curious about who left that message on the ground and what it means. :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Liz wrote:I'm still curious about who left that message on the ground and what it means. :D
"TOMYS ROCK 8980" ???

I checked GPS elevation, and it was not 8980 feet.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Oh! I get it! Thanks, smart guy!

Maybe I'll meet you on a trail someday.

Bed now, San Gorgonio tomorrow.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rob wrote:
Liz wrote:I'm still curious about who left that message on the ground and what it means. :D
"TOMYS ROCK 8980" ???

I checked GPS elevation, and it was not 8980 feet.
I thought it was "Tony's" not "Tomy's" but that's certainly the gist of it. Love the pic on top of W Baldy, Liz. :)