San Bernardino Peak from Angeles Oaks TH 2009/07/2

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I made it to the trailhead about 7:15am and was off by 7:20am, the weather was relatively cool and the wind was nice

I made good time as the trail is pretty good and it's not super steep, @ 3.4 miles I stopped for a break and cached some Gatorade for the return trip

@ 4.0 miles 2hrs I came to the junction with Columbine Sprg Tr and an undocumented trail from John's Meadow

As I was photographing the sign a hiker was coming up this trail. He said he was coming from Forsee Trailhead and was making a loop out of the day's hike, sounds like a future trip to me!

3hrs 10min 5.67 miles I came to trailside Limber Pine Spring, it was flowing nicely, I cached my water filter and some other things and pressed on.

I met another hiker coming down who lives in Angeles Oaks, we may meet up soon for a canyon or two...

At 6.92 miles 4hrs 6min I passed by the spur trail to Washington's Monument vowing to stop here for lunch

Moving on I was hoping to see a use trail to the summit but one didn't seem to be there??? I left the trail @ 7.48 miles 4hrs 26min and made the summit @ 7.56 miles 4hrs 30min. I stayed just long enough to sign the register and grab a way point

There was a use trail on the summit, so I followed it back... It brought me to the trail about 10-15 yds from where I'd left the trail DOH! :oops:

I stopped at washington's monument for lunch and averaged my waypoint the entire time I was there the GPS indicated a 5ft accuracy after about 40min of averaging.

I passed 3 groups of backpackers on the way back all below the Columbine junction, ugh pumping up that grade in the heat was taking it's toll

My photos such as they are are here
http://picasaweb.google.com/mattmaxon20 ... 009_07_02#

I made it back to the trailhead at 3:38pm for a total of 8hrs and 15min 16miles-ish

Cheers
Matt
Socalhiker

Post by Socalhiker »

Thanks for the TR and the pics.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

5ft accuracy eh? is that a consumer grade gps?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

wrote:5ft accuracy eh? is that a consumer grade gps?
Si
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Averaging is powerful! :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

which model?

i have a garmin 60csx that i've seen as low as 8, sampled every second... just curious.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AlanK wrote:Averaging is powerful! :D
yeah but can't beat a wheel! :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:
AlanK wrote:Averaging is powerful! :D
yeah but can't beat a wheel! :wink:
It is true that I see as many measuring wheels out on the trails as I ever did. They certainly aren't losing popularity.
Rob

Post by Rob »

mattmaxon wrote:@ 4.0 miles 2hrs I came to the junction with Columbine Sprg Tr and an undocumented trail from John's Meadow

As I was photographing the sign a hiker was coming up this trail. He said he was coming from Forsee Trailhead and was making a loop out of the day's hike, sounds like a future trip to me!
Matt, a couple of years ago, I hiked that loop unintentionally because I had a navigation "oops" at the trail sign you photographed. As I recall, on the day of my hike, the post was there but the signs were missing. The silver lining: I discovered John's Meadow.

. . . Rob :)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

wrote:which model?

i have a garmin 60csx that i've seen as low as 8, sampled every second... just curious.
I'm using the GPSmap76CSX, it is the same as the 60csx, or at least the software is

My unit has a waypoint averaging feature which when activated samples the location every X seconds until you hit OK I recall 1200, to 1300 samples when at Washington's Monument
wrote:yeah but can't beat a wheel! :wink:
Granted the wheel is more reliable, but the GPS in the shirt pocket is way more convenient
AlanK wrote:It is true that I see as many measuring wheels out on the trails as I ever did. They certainly aren't losing popularity.
Yeah they're common as "Hens teeth" :shock:

I don't recall ever seeing one in use, except by me.
Rob wrote:Matt, a couple of years ago, I hiked that loop unintentionally
Rob, they way I look at those events is I wanted to go that way I just didn't know it :D Sounds like you had a grand serendipity that day

For me it's not about the destination for the most part but the journey

The one thing I found odd was everyone waiting for the heat of the day to start up WTF? Some of those kids looked really unhappy, "green around the gills" and all that.

It's supposed to be an enjoyable adventure to encourage a future, hopefully life long interest in the outdoors, making them haul big packs up a mountain in 85° temps with the sun directly overhead aint gonna encourage anyone IMO. Except to take up watching "Fishing" on TV :x
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:@ 4.0 miles 2hrs I came to the junction with Columbine Sprg Tr and an undocumented trail from John's Meadow

This line drawing:
gives a thumbnail sketch of most of the trails in the SGW, including the unmaintained stretch of trail from Johns Meadow to Manzanita Spring (where you took the photo of the trail sign). There are several other abandoned but followable (some only semi-followable) trails* that aren't shown. Some time I'll have to make up a map or something.

HJ

*Abandoned trails of the SGW:
1. Johns Meadow to Manzanita Spring
2. Upper Momyer Creek Trail (section from jct w/ Alger Creek Trail to San Berd. Pk Divide)
4. Lodgepole Spring to Fish Creek Saddle
5. Lodgepole Spring to Lodgepole Saddle (aka Zahniser-Lake Saddle)
6. Old Lower Dollar Lake Trail (very difficult to find)
7. Old Upper Dollar Lake Trail

Other routes of potential interest:
1. Abandoned road from Aspen Grove to Fish Creek Meadows
2. Abandoned road from Heartbar Ranger Station to Fish Creek
3. Abandoned road that connects the above road with Fish Creek Track
4. Fish Creek Track (Hwy 38 to Aspen Grove)
6. "Along the Flume" Track
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rob wrote:

Matt, a couple of years ago, I hiked that loop unintentionally because I had a navigation "oops" at the trail sign you photographed. As I recall, on the day of my hike, the post was there but the signs were missing. The silver lining: I discovered John's Meadow.

Rob: Nice to see you post again. Long time no see.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Rob: Nice to see you post again. Long time no see.
HJ, thanks. It's good to be back. I have catching up to do.