Are two adventure passes necessary for overnight camping?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Not a problem for me, as my wife bought one of the senior lifetime passes, but am asking for friends who are coming along. I'm assuming two passes, as all that I see are daily passes or annual passes. I'm thinking of simply buying them an annual pass. . .
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Overnight camping where?

If you are paying a fee to camp no AP is needed at your site....
simonov

Post by simonov »

An Adventure Pass is simply a parking permit. It's not a Wilderness Permit or anything else like that.

You need one for every car you park in SoCal National Forests.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:You need one for every car you park in SoCal National Forests.
Except at campsites with a fee or in parking lots of businesses (such as Follows Camp, Newcomb Ranch, etc.).

There are some undeveloped areas where AP's are not required, but I'm not sure how you'd identify which is which. Areas near a campground, trailhead, picnic area, view point, etc. are all considered "developed."
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

The Adventure Pass ( =total ripoff pass) is $5 a day or $30 for a year.
You can also get a second annual pass for $5.
I usually by the second pass first as the clerks at most sporting goods stores don't understand.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Technically, for overnight camping where parking is not covered by the campsite fee, I think each car needs 2 day passes (one for each day) unless you leave by 10 am the next morning.

From the web...
Daily Passes are hangtags, designed to be self-validating. Visitors scratch off the day and month of their visit upon reaching their forest destination. This design allows Daily Passes to be conveniently obtained in advance of the outing to the forest.

The pass is good until 10 a.m. the morning after it is used.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Rumpled wrote:The Adventure Pass ( =total ripoff pass) is $5 a day or $30 for a year.
I usually by the second pass first as the clerks at most sporting goods stores don't understand.
I like this idea here. I'm not saying to steal from the government, they hate competition, but I bet more times than not this would work.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Though I'm not a big fan of the government or the excess fees it get's a little silly when you do the math

1) Adventure passes are actually $35 a year now.

2) Second pass is $5

I do about 30-40 hikes a year locally so that's about $1 to park for each hike and what that gives me is them (park rangers and police) driving by every so often to check that others have the passes and maybe avoid my car getting broken into or it keeps the "knuckleheads" from parking so badly that you cannot got around them - anyone who's been to Baldy, Ice House after a good snow knows what I'm talking about, both of these "So called monitoring activities" are worth the $1 per trip if for nothing else.

Just my opinion, that's fairly cheap for a little service? :idea:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Yes, you need a pass for every calendar day. Even if its less than 24 hours. Rip off. I am going to hang an IOU in my window this weekend.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

hvydrt wrote:Yes, you need a pass for every calendar day. Even if its less than 24 hours. Rip off. I am going to hang an IOU in my window this weekend.
It's a federal pass - hang the IOU in the (closed?) State Parks.

Here's the map of where the passes are required in the ANF.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/a ... view.shtml

Click on an area to zoom in.

The website still lists the annual fee as $30; don't know where $35 is coming from.

You can even buy them online now from vendors linked on the AP website.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

They must have dupped me last time, just checked the web page again and it is $30, not $35 my apologies :(
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rumpled wrote:Here's the map of where the passes are required in the ANF.
Cool. No parking fee at Mill Creek Summit, Upper Big T, all of Little Tujunga, or along AFH past Hidden Springs. But (ha, ha) they do charge you to park at Cabin Flat (which has been closed how long?) and Lupine.

Interestingly, Dawson Saddle appears to be a non fee area. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/a ... rock.shtml
Rumpled wrote:The Adventure Pass ( =total ripoff pass) is $5 a day or $30 for a year.
So, let me get this straight. You ask the clerk for the second car pass ($5.00) without paying for a first car pass? Am I reading that correctly? :lol: I guess you could just tell 'em, "I already have the first car pass; I just want a second car pass." :lol:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Cool. No parking fee at Mill Creek Summit, Upper Big T, all of Little Tujunga, or along AFH past Hidden Springs. But (ha, ha) they do charge you to park at Cabin Flat (which has been closed how long?) and Lupine.

Interestingly, Dawson Saddle appears to be a non fee area. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/a ... rock.shtml
So, let me get this straight. You ask the clerk for the second car pass ($5.00) without paying for a first car pass? Am I reading that correctly? :lol: I guess you could just tell 'em, "I already have the first car pass; I just want a second car pass." :lol:
Sorry to burst your bubble, HJ; but the map is very deceptive. There are yellow areas where fees are required AS WELL AS the brown icons. The green icons are free. You can click thru the brown icons to see them on the list.
Mill Creek Summit IS a pass required area. I was there in February and for the Tour of California and they were aggressivley patrolling/ticketing.

Yes, I just say I need a second car pass. It's supposed to be given the same expiration as the first; but most clerks at the sporting goods stores don't even know what they are selling.

libitmo - I totally understand your reasoning. I usually only need a pass about 10 days a year (just can't get out enough or park just outside a fee area) If I knew there was security; I would almost pay airport parking fees. The anxiety I get every time when returning to my truck is pretty big.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Rumpled wrote: It's a federal pass - hang the IOU in the (closed?) State Parks.
Speaking of that, it's also a rip off that all the trail heads to access San Jacinto State Park require a National Forest Adventure Pass.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rumpled wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, HJ; but the map is very deceptive. There are yellow areas where fees are required AS WELL AS the brown icons. The green icons are free. You can click thru the brown icons to see them on the list.
Ah. I see what you mean. Actually, I guess that makes sense. Still, Dawson Saddle is out of the zone(s) and has no brown facilities. Throop Peak here I come!!
Rumpled wrote:Yes, I just say I need a second car pass. It's supposed to be given the same expiration as the first; but most clerks at the sporting goods stores don't even know what they are selling.
You got that right. You should've seen the look on the clerk's face when I asked for one at the Sport Chalet in Marina Del Rey. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kgw

Post by kgw »

Thanks. I actually figured it out by a thorough study of the Angeles National Forest website. I also called the appropriate ranger station and got it firsthand. The gentleman suggested that if I knew of a place that sold amulets, I should buy one :lol:
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

DamOTclese wrote:Adventure Passes? Ha! I don't have to buy any because I'm on a bicycle! La la la! :) They can't force me to pay a parking fee for my bicycle.
[/b]
Not until you just gave them the idea :P