Heaton Flats to Shoemaker Rd

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Does anyone have a good picture/description of the route/scramble from the Heaton Flats area to the road above. I have a good idea of where to go up but wouldn't mind any beta you guys might have.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's crummy. It'll suck bigtime if it's hot. Lotsa bugs. The brush ain't too bad though. You're basically following an old service road.

Some photos of a time I went down it, then back up:
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

That's the old "service road" I took a few weeks back to get from Heaton Flat to Shoemaker Road. Seems to be the only option and it's not that pleasant. Could be worse though. Lots of brush. Can get very hot. Takes about 30-40 minutes from Heaton Flat to the Shoemaker Rd. It's hard to describe the route precisely but I crossed the East Fork river almost directly across (and slightly south) from the Heaton Flat trailhead. It's probably easier to scout it from the top down first.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach, if you wanna do a hike up there to check it out, lemme know. I'll bring the machete and bug spray if you bring some beer. ;-)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:It's crummy. It'll suck bigtime if it's hot. Lotsa bugs.
Stop Stop ! I'm about ready to leave work and head out there right NOW

You make it sound like soooo much fun! :mrgreen:

The only thing you could make it for me is the brush is all Buckthorn and Yuccas
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:It's crummy. It'll suck bigtime if it's hot. Lotsa bugs.
Stop Stop ! I'm about ready to leave work and head out there right NOW

You make it sound like soooo much fun! :mrgreen:

The only thing you could make it for me is the brush is all Buckthorn and Yuccas
Sorry to disappoint but it's only poison oak and stinging nettles. Will that do? :wink:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Sorry to disappoint but it's only poison oak and stinging nettles. Will that do? :wink:
Well if there was stinging nettles at least I'd have something to eat is I became stranded!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/art ... ture.shtml
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No Buckthorn, just Yucca. There is some stinging whatever near the water though, so you can head down and reach nirvana. :-)