Waterman/Twin Peaks critters

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Just a yote and some deer. The coyote is kind of interesting - for some reason, I had them pegged as a lower altitude animal. This camera was under a log, and straight ahead and to the left of the frame is one of only two small water sources left along the trail from Three Points. So, I expected to see a lot more animals, and I expected them to drink the water! (none did)

Matt was noticing how little there is for animals to eat up there too - there is hardly any green grass, or really anything other than boulders and pine trees. So, we are wondering what bighorn sheep eat...The coyote has plenty of squirrels and chipmunks, so that makes sense.

We moved the camera to a new spot, off the trail, where we saw a heavily used deer or sheep trail. Hopefully that will work better! Did see a lot of hikers - much more than I expected. None saw the camera, despite walking within about 2 feet of it.

Also caught Ze & co moving fast on their way to Twin Peaks!

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

haha. Thats pretty funny that you caught Ze. Makes me think of a pretty funny idea. Maybe you can hide one of your cameras on a well traveled trail and see how many SGMDF'rs you can catch on trail?

Turn all this into reality TV show. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Now how the heck can you tell that's Zé and company from that indistinct video? Guess I need new glasses.

Cool pics otherwise. I'm a little surprised in a way to see coyotes up that high, but then they are freaking everywhere.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Now how the heck can you tell that's Zé and company from that indistinct video?
I used my superior tracking skills to identify his boot prints - the stride length was was not typical of a casual hiker, only someone intent on great elevation gain, and there was a faint scent of Lime Gatorade on the wind...

(And also, he posted a TR about his hike on May 3rd - and aside from two guys with dogs, these were the only hikers that day. ) 8)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

EnFuego wrote:haha. Thats pretty funny that you caught Ze. Makes me think of a pretty funny idea. Maybe you can hide one of your cameras on a well traveled trail and see how many SGMDF'rs you can catch on trail?

LOL - "Keeping Up With the SGMDF'rs".

Actually, if I can find some faith in humanity, I would like to have a trailcam Geocache - that seems like it could be really fun. Finding the camera and getting your picture taken would be the whole point.

Probably could get away with that if it was someplace relatively tough to get to.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I can take care of that. :-)

Then again, fewer would be on camera... but hey...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

cougarmagic wrote: I used my superior tracking skills to identify his boot prints - the stride length was was not typical of a casual hiker, only someone intent on great elevation gain, and there was a faint scent of Lime Gatorade on the wind...

(And also, he posted a TR about his hike on May 3rd - and aside from two guys with dogs, these were the only hikers that day. ) 8)
lol, nice!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

cougarmagic wrote:
EnFuego wrote:haha. Thats pretty funny that you caught Ze. Makes me think of a pretty funny idea. Maybe you can hide one of your cameras on a well traveled trail and see how many SGMDF'rs you can catch on trail?

LOL - "Keeping Up With the SGMDF'rs".

Actually, if I can find some faith in humanity, I would like to have a trailcam Geocache - that seems like it could be really fun. Finding the camera and getting your picture taken would be the whole point.

Probably could get away with that if it was someplace relatively tough to get to.
I've been to two geocaches that had trail cams watching them. One was identified as USGS; but the other had no markings. I wonder if the hider put it there; but I doubt it - it had a concrete pedestal.

A trail cam one would be a great virtual.