Buckhorn campground ?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
kgw

Post by kgw »

This may be like asking is the sky blue :lol: , but is Buckhorn Campground overflowing on the weekends? Some friends want to spend some time in the woods near the end of the month.

thx,

Kim
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

kgw wrote:This may be like asking is the sky blue :lol: , but is Buckhorn Campground overflowing on the weekends? Some friends want to spend some time in the woods near the end of the month.

thx,

Kim
Depends on the weekend, but yes a lot of weekends the camp is full. Forget 4th of July weekend. :roll:

However, if you come up Thursday night, even on a holiday weekend, you're likely (not guaranteed, likely) to be able to get a spot.

Coming up Friday night is another good tactic for non-holiday weekends.

For whatever reason, fall seems like there is less camping going on, the kid's being in school and all. Particularly in late fall (but before they close for the season), I've seen the place practically empty. Fall is a great hiking season, particularly if you want to cut down on the crowds.

HJ
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

you should be able to find a spot at buckhorn....but if for some reason its packed you can always stay at chilao.....la mountains in summer arnt that great..why not spend another hour ortwo and drive up north...kern river...visalia.....bishop......you will enjoy your nights a lot more and it really aint that far away
kgw

Post by kgw »

We were looking for someplace local, and Buckhorn is nice. Hike down to the creek, wander around. . . They are experienced hikers; they are going to Evolution Valley at the end of July, from Florence Lake.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I agree, if you have the time drive north. 99 to the 65 to Porterville. Head east out of Porterville on 190 then follow the signs to Balch Park. The Balch park road is just after Springville.The ancient redwoods in that places will blow you away and the crowds are never bad. You can make reservations as well. The road in is a snake if that's o.k. with you.

You can continue east on 190 to Camp Nelson and even farther up to Ponderosa. If your in the area check out the Fire Lookouts. Needles will blow you away. Google it and see for yourself.

We are up there all the time. :lol:
kgw

Post by kgw »

Again, I am going LOCAL! Just a simple outing, not hours of driving.

BTW, it appears one should think twice about Balch Park:
Nov 3, 2008

"Well I went to Moses Gulch and stayed a week. I spent all week picking up garbage left by those before me. All and all it was a very peaceful outing. I am set up for cooking in the forest. Lot's of yellow jackets (hornets). I cruised on over to lower Balch Park lake and spoke to the ranger located there. He said this year on Oct. 31st they are bolting the gates locked so you cannot even make it up the road let alone into the park area, due to gang activity. he said the mexicans are destroying everything they can access. If not destruction for fun, then ripping things apart for stealing. Spray paint and bullets everywhere. He said that over in Camp Nelson it is practically a war zone. Multiple shootings, and total disrespect for the environment. Garbage, graffiti, and rampant vandalism. Not good. So this will be the first year of NO ACCESS past lower locked gates. When will citizens get mad and demand a stop to this invasion? "

Not good, whoever is doing it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I think Buckhorn is just the ticket for ya.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i just got home from spending a couple nights up at buckhorn and chilao.
both are ok...buckhorn has more shade during the day but more bugs and less star watching at night...close to good hikes if you cant stay still

chilao was hot during the day but nice views and less bugs. some spots had good shade but the sun is a little stronger at chilao.the nights time was more fun for us at chilao..

one thing that was fun was going to newcombs ranch..they got a good bar
and good eating....i had a burger..it was good..and like 9 beers and 4 shots...the walk back to camp was fun...i gave my friends a 5 minute head start and then i hunted them down with rocks i found on the road..
they fired back..with the blood flowing and laughter echoing thru devils canyon we had ourselves a good time.......when the drinks wear of the pain returns..lol....one rock hit my butt cheeck and it hurts