Mines in the San Gabriels

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
sleighty

Post by sleighty »

Looking to explore some more of the mines up here. I know some are pretty hard to get to (some of the "lost mines" of iron, etc.), and some are very easy to get to. Looking for something in the middle. Anyone suggest any one in particular? Heading up this Tuesday, looking for a one day affair, anywhere from 5-12 miles or so round trip, toughness not a problem, though nothing technical (bringing a friend with no gear).

Been researching the subject and seems like there are some cool ones that offer some pretty interesting stuff after a tough hike (eg. allison mine). Is Allison really that tough? Just crappy bushwhacking?

Any suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks
Sleighty
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Allison is a good middle of the roader. The brush, once you leave the Heaton Flats trail, is the worst issue.

You can follow an old steep trail on the north side of Allison Gulch for your exit. It drops you down into the E Fork near Swan Rock. You shave a lot of miles (and nasty brush) using this exit route. You probably could use the exit route to get in, but it's steep, slidey stuff.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

http://socalhikes.com/2009/01/east-fork ... lat-trail/

http://socalhikes.com/2009/03/east-fork ... mine-area/

Allison is the "easiest". The best way is to go up and back the way we went up: head up the east fork, veer off into Allison Gulch, then climb the steep trail northeast to the mine.

This trail is in much better shape than the Allison mine trail that wraps around to Allison/coldwater saddle (the way we took back).
sleighty

Post by sleighty »

Ya I was looking at your TR and was actually using that to go off of. Thanks a lot guys. The mines up there are pretty rad, hoping to maybe get out and explore some more of em.

Probably gonna head up the east fork, I like water more than Yucca.