Baldy via Ski Hut Trail 1-12-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I went up Mt. Baldy via the Ski Hut trail today. I didn't get started until nearly 10, and there were quite a few people on the trail, not to mention a huge number of cars at Manker Flat. This suggested that the hardest part of the trip would be the drive down the hill in the afternoon. That turned out to be the case. :cry:

Thanks to the three storms last weekend, there was plenty of snow all the way. The trail to the Hut was well-trod, so there was no need for snowshoes. I ended up taking a direct route up the left side of the Bowl. The snow was just right for doing it in boots. On the ridge, I put my snowshoes on for a while, less out of necessity than because I was tired of carrying them and they did make travel a bit easier.

The crowds dissipated after the Hut. There were only 4 other people on top and very few headed either up or down as I approached and descended from the summit. Views were good and it was actually calm on top! :)

Pix
He219

Post by He219 »

nice Alan! SanG and Jacinto lookin' good ..
great picture. thanks for sharing.
:D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Great shots, Alan! Looked like a nice day.... save for the traffic!
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Great shots at the top, Alan. Amazing it was so clear up there. Down here in Long Beach and the South Bay it was very hazy in the early afternoon. Im looking forward to getting some snowshoe experience this week in Mammoth :D
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Alan: Thanks for the report - it sounds like it was a perfect day on the mountain - I just love it when the snow in the bowl is just right for kick stepping up. It was very clear in the mountains yesterday - best views I've seen in a while.

Kathy