Animal Tracks ID please (Sierra Range)

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I did a solo trip this past Saturday up to Mount Mills. Just past Ruby Lake, I ran into three separate animal tracks. I'm pretty positive that these are three different sets of tracks, as they were scene on three different snow fields, coming from three different directions. These tracks were found at about the 11,800 ft to 12,300 ft level. And I'm also sure that they are not from a dog, as there were no human footprints anywhere up there.

Track set #1 (about 11,800' elevation above Ruby Lake)

Track set #2 (about 12,200' elevation different snow field)

Track set #3 (about 12,400' elevation different snow field)

cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

How far were you sinking into that snow? The tracks don't go very deep - makes me think it's not a real big animal. (unless that was very crusty with ice) Set #3 looks like cat - for sure. The walking pattern is right, and the toes are not symmetrical. Small lion or large bobcat.

The others - hard to say, but I don't think coyotes would be up there. So that only leaves lions or bobs....

That's a high elevation for any animal really - I'm surprised!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Thanks Cougar. I would say in these areas, I was on the shady side of a glacier and was not sinking but 4-8 inches at most.

I think it's a mountain lion as well. I don't know how high they roam, but all sets of tracks were coming off a rocky moraine and heading downhill towards the center of a ravine (of sorts) where there was water trickling or running down hill. sort of a glacial stream I guess.