Middle Fork Lytle Creek to Icehouse Saddle: 23 May 2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Perfect weather and beautiful scenery made this one of our best hikes in a long time. We arrived at the parking lot trailhead and were surprised to see so many vehicles there (~10) We thought we might have the area to ourselves. The road to the trailhead is not nearly as rough as the road to Stockton Flat. A low slung vehicle could make it, albeit, slowly.

The trail immediately ascends through the 2003 Grand Prix burn area. The brush is returning nicely but the tree scars will remain for quite awhile. In the first picture, the trail is on the hillside not in the wash:

We took the high trail and avoided Stone House Crossing trail camp on the way up. On the return trip we took the low trail and passed through the camp at that time.
We quickly hiked out of the burn area and entered the Cucamonga Wilderness. Don't forget to call Lytle Creek Ranger Station to get your wilderness permit; they will fax it to you.

The hike takes you through Third Stream Crossing and Commanche trail camps. Looking up the canyon after Third Stream Crossing:

There is one big slide that is moderately negotiable between Third Stream and Commanche.

Plenty of water was flowing at Commanche. Our troop will probably backpack there sometime. This is the last water before the big uphill. Commanche (don't know why the camp is spelled with two 'M's but that appears to be official):

The last leg up the dry wash to Icehouse Saddle was full of switchbacks but worth the long uphill:

We met ~25 hikers on the trail - not to mention the hordes of tents in the lowest camp area at Third Stream Crossing - on the way down:

Although various sources describe Lytle Creek's Middle Fork as being lightly visited, this last Memorial Day weekend surely wasn't. There were ~20 vehicles in the parking lot when we returned.

IMO, this 11 mile round trip, 3600' gain hike is one of the best in the San Gabriel Mountains. Be sure to be in good shape, though.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Looks nice. Kinda reminds me of the Meysan Lakes trail for some reason.

By any chance, did you see the crags to the south on Cucamonga?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice! This is another area I haven't explored. Always been too afraid to drive up Lytle Creek in my puny car. Maybe I ought to hike down from the IHC saddle one day. Thanks for the TR, Mike.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

TacoDelRio wrote:By any chance, did you see the crags to the south on Cucamonga?
Taco, the only craggy area that I saw was near the waterfall:

Tim wrote:Nice! This is another area I haven't explored. Always been too afraid to drive up Lytle Creek in my puny car. Maybe I ought to hike down from the IHC saddle one day. Thanks for the TR, Mike.
Tim- This trip would make a great through-hike: Icehouse Canyon to Lytle Creek or vice-versa. The dirt road portion of the drive in is only about three miles. You should be able to make it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks Mike!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Middle Fork Lytel Creek is a popular Canyoneering route....

http://www.dankat.com/advents/midlyt.htm

I did this route about one month ago for the 2nd time

It is sometimes done in the winter with lots of ice...

Regards
Matt