North Baldy/Burnham/Throop 5-17-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Joined by Norma, I happily re-visited one of the favorite local peaks of my youth: Mt. Baden-Powell--back then they called it North Baldy :wink: The weather was ideal, so we continued on to Mt. Burnham and Throop Peak. We contemplated dropping down to Dawson Saddle and hiking back on the soon-to-be-re-opened Highway 2, but in the end opted for the PCT. Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 390593287/
norma r

Post by norma r »

HaHa! we both posted TR's a few mins apart!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Baden Powell is North Baldy now?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote:HaHa! we both posted TR's a few mins apart!
Great photos (on both TR's).
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Dave G and Norma R - nice pics. Haven't heard from either of you in awhile.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AlanK wrote:Baden Powell is North Baldy now?
it used to be called that, before the Brits got all imperialistic on us :P
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:
AlanK wrote:Baden Powell is North Baldy now?
it used to be called that, before the Brits got all imperialistic on us :P
Yeah, well we're all pushovers for anyone with a British accent.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The real controversy is whether Baden-Powell is pronounced Baddin-Powl, Baiden-Powl or Baiden-Poelle? Supposedly it's the last one, but bar fights still erupt to this day over which one is right.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Tim wrote:The real controversy is whether Baden-Powell is pronounced Baddin-Powl, Baiden-Powl or Baiden-Poelle? Supposedly it's the last one, but bar fights still erupt to this day over which one is right.
If there weren't important issues to fight about in bars, someone would come around and invent them.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

That is a really great hike - thanks for the report. I'm really excited about the road opening because I haven't done the section from Throop to Islip yet and it's a lot easier for me to get to the Dawson trailhead from the Wrightwood area than from the other direction. I suppose a shuttle hike would work great for that section.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Tim wrote:The real controversy is whether Baden-Powell is pronounced Baddin-Powl, Baiden-Powl or Baiden-Poelle? Supposedly it's the last one, but bar fights still erupt to this day over which one is right.
Poelle like Noelle like Noel? weird. I always said Baiden-Powl.
norma r

Post by norma r »

EnFuego wrote:Dave G and Norma R - nice pics. Haven't heard from either of you in awhile.
been in stealth mode! not really. still hiking up a storm. i think we did a hike that wasn't picture worthy and recently i forgot my camera on a hike. i have been hiking locally after work a lot. i love daylight savings!

anyone heading to the Sierra this weekend? i know i am. :D

be safe and have fun, wherever you are.

p.s. Hikin Jim, on my 2nd to last photo i ID a fir tree. was i right???? :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote:p.s. Hikin Jim, on my 2nd to last photo i ID a fir tree. was i right???? :?
Quite right on the ID, including the mistletoe. Unfortunately, that tree won't be with us much longer. :( Mistletoe is a parasite. Healthier trees can hold it at bay. When you see a tree with as much MT on it as the one in your photo, you know that tree is not long for this world.

HJ

P.S. Good ID too on the "Fungi/Fun Guy" :lol:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
P.S. Good ID too on the "Fungi/Fun Guy"
yeah, he kinda grows on you!!! :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

D'oh! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Dave G wrote:Joined by Norma, I happily re-visited one of the favorite local peaks of my youth: Mt. Baden-Powell--back then they called it North Baldy :wink: The weather was ideal, so we continued on to Mt. Burnham and Throop Peak. We contemplated dropping down to Dawson Saddle and hiking back on the soon-to-be-re-opened Highway 2, but in the end opted for the PCT. Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 390593287/
What you guys found on Mt. Burnham was the "Mt. Burnham" geocache, but it appears that someone stole the logbook. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 83d2aad3cb
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Kit Fox wrote:
Dave G wrote:Joined by Norma, I happily re-visited one of the favorite local peaks of my youth: Mt. Baden-Powell--back then they called it North Baldy :wink: The weather was ideal, so we continued on to Mt. Burnham and Throop Peak. We contemplated dropping down to Dawson Saddle and hiking back on the soon-to-be-re-opened Highway 2, but in the end opted for the PCT. Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 390593287/
What you guys found on Mt. Burnham was the "Mt. Burnham" geocache, but it appears that someone stole the logbook. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 83d2aad3cb
Actually, we found both. The nested red cans in my photo are the summit register proper, and the Plano box looks like it was indeed a geocache in a former life :wink:

In spite of Burnham being somewhat of a "lesser" peak, I thought the placement of the register was pretty cool. It was the actual high point, which required suffering the Buckthorn to retrieve it :twisted: