Invasion of the bobcats

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Geez, pretty soon we'll be tripping over these guys! They're everywhere!

This one is kind of near Colby ranch. I got several other videos of deer, and one very nervous looking bunny rabbit. I didn't look at the videos in the field, so now I need to make another trip back and move the camera a little, so it isn't so backlit.

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so cool! i love this stuff
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

So, question for all you feline fanciers out there: are there any other cats in the local mountains? All I know about are bobs and pumas, but are there any others? Someone was telling me they've seen a Lynx. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking, "I don't think we have those here."

Anyone know?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Bobcats are lynx (lynxes? lynxsththes?). Their scientific name is Lynx Rufus (lynx rufus californicus around here). Most people picture the big, white Siberian lynx or Canadian lynx - but they are all the same genus.

Those are the only two that I know of....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We only have two species of wildcats in our mountains, the bobcat and mountain lion. The bobcat, Lynx rufus (or Felis rufus to other folks) is a different species than the Canadian Lynx, Lynx canadensis.

It's so cool, CM, that you are catching these guys with your camera. Thanks for posting!

Edit: Forgot to mention - I have heard some people refer to 'ringtail cats.' Actually, they are not even felines. They are just plain ol' 'ringtails.'
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Ringtail are considerd the racoons of the desert (they are related to racoons). The only other wild'cat' I remember being found in California was the jagurundi. I don't believe it was ever found in the San Gabriel, San Berdoo, or San Jacinto Mtns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi

+20 years ago there were a few reportedly seen in the mountains east of San Diego, on the desert side of the hills. I believe they were considered an isolated pocket, and have probably died out by now. Still found in east AZ, NM, TX, and south into Mexico and beyond. Look something like a puma, only smaller and with stubby legs.