Palm Springs Aerial Tram 5/15/09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

So I took the wife, a life long SoCal resident for her 1st trip up the tram....

It's my 3rd or 4th. But I've never done the Long Valley thing because I was always going to, or coming from somewhere else

She's not much of a hiker so we stuck to the short loop trails in long valley, I checked out the upper end of Sky Line Trail and Long Valley Creek for possible future adventures

It was a pleasant easy day with my two loves

When descending on the tram I noted the edison lines on the North West ridge paralleling the tramway.

Sure looks like a route could be done up that way, any beta out there for this route?

TIA
Matt
Click to download file
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I can't DL your file, for some reason. Comes up with script.

I don't remember if it was Galen Rowell or another old school Yosemite climber, but some guy/s made some routes on the big towers along the tram. I think they descended from the tram up to first, though.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:I can't DL your file, for some reason. Comes up with script.
hummmm... rt'clk save as...add the extension KML
TacoDelRio wrote: I don't remember if it was Galen Rowell or another old school Yosemite climber, but some guy/s made some routes on the big towers along the tram. I think they descended from the tram up to first, though.
Interesting...

I'm looking at the power lines ascending the ridge, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way up

If you zoom in on this panorama you'll see the utility poles

http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Photos ... 20pano.jpg

Cheers
Matt
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Got it, I didn't right click the first time. :-)

When taking the tram down, I've always noticed the possible trails up there with the best views ever. There should be some trace if there are powerlines... I'd think it's legal, since it's not underneath the tram, yeah?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:Got it, I didn't right click the first time. :-)

When taking the tram down, I've always noticed the possible trails up there with the best views ever. There should be some trace if there are powerlines... I'd think it's legal, since it's not underneath the tram, yeah?
The area around the Picnic benches and the "Waterfall" are posted NO TRESPASSING private property DWA (Desert Water Agency)

I'd be interested in who owns what where.....

The power lines gotta be maintained and there will be a route up, whether it goes all the way is a question, there would be a couple really exposed places, with scree. Mostly as you approach the top.

Wouldn't want to slip..for sure.

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote: The power lines gotta be maintained and there will be a route up, whether it goes all the way is a question, there would be a couple really exposed places, with scree. Mostly as you approach the top.
I know that they maintain the upper towers on the tram via chopper. Could be the same with the power lines. Not saying I know that to be true, but in country that rugged, I wouldn't be surprised if it were done by chopper. Probably a lot cheaper than building a (rather dangerous) route.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Troof.

That said... if it's legal, it would be badass to go up that ridge,
Tim

Post by Tim »

Matt, very nice pano. Did you take that while the tram was in motion?!! Did you use PanoTools to stitch it?

That does look like a badass route. Looks like sustained Class 2/3/4? for most of the way. The thing that worries me is it's hard to judge the scale of those rocks. What looks like puny boulders always seem to end up being huge 20 foot monsters.

I think I remember some talk about Chino Canyon on the San J board.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tim wrote:Matt, very nice pano. Did you take that while the tram was in motion?!! Did you use PanoTools to stitch it?
No, I took it from the platform at the bottom

I used PTGui
Tim wrote:That does look like a badass route. Looks like sustained Class 2/3/4? for most of the way.
I'd say mostly class 3, albeit very steep.
Tim wrote:The thing that worries me is it's hard to judge the scale of those rocks. What looks like puny boulders always seem to end up being huge 20 foot monsters.

I think I remember some talk about Chino Canyon on the San J board.
If you look closely at the photo you'll see utility poles for scale

looking at the remaining photos

I think the most difficult part would be the last 200-300 vertical feet

You'd have to be prepared to set anchors and do some mountaineering for sure. But judging from other Edison routes I have taken I think there is a route there to the top....

No helo needed :D Putting a "dope on a rope" in there to work on the lines would be very dangerous indeed

The Edison crew would also have several definite advantages over anyone else going up there. They know the way and have a helo hauling all their gear and water!