Flora along the Stone Cyn Trail

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Thursday with 95°+heat in the forecast I got off the trailhead in Wildwood @ 5:30am

Made the summit in 2hrs (1016th summit) and decided an inventory of every different flower I saw would be of interest...

Since running my brush saw was outta the question with a Red Flag Alert

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattmaxon20 ... nyonTrail#

There's a few that haven't come out yet, notably Scarlet Larkspur & California Indian Pink Silene californica, these usually come out late. The Indian Pink stays around to the fall

Enjoy!
Matt
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Matt - that inventory of what you saw is pretty cool. Are those all the flowers you saw in one two hr trip to the summit? Thats a lot of flowers.

Thanks for sharing that. Very beautiful. Where exactly is Wildwood?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wildwood is here.

Nice pics, Matt. Good stuff. Especially like the blue ceonothus and chia. Didn't know that Scarlett Bugler was also called Firecracker Penstemon. I'm going to have to get out and hike with the Sierra Club's Natural Science Section again. It's good stuff. I'd like to go to their Nature Knowledge Workshop in June, but that might be a bit much with the baby coming in only four months. :shock:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yeah all on one day.

I don't know the names of the little yellow jobs with the one petal that has the dark stripes

Or the variety of Indian Paint brush that is yellow

Rage stopped me from identifying the despised Greenbark Ceanothus (Ceanothus spinosus), the bane of XC hikers!

Those handful of little white flowers has eluded my elementary identification skills to date

Wildwood Picnic is in Big Tujunga Canyon, if you get there real early sometimes the gate is closed, but generally it isn't locked. just open it and go on in

Matt
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:....and chia
¿Qué?

which photo are you referring to? # of #
Hikin_Jim wrote:baby coming in only four months.
Wow! early congrats... Hope the Mrs's is doing well through it.

Sooo.... you can't get anybody to go hiking with you and decided to grow a hiking buddy from seed? :lol:

Cheers
Matt
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Photo 79 of 142
&
Photo 80 of 142

Salvia columbariae

Calflora "Chia"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:Rage stopped me from identifying the despised Greenbark Ceanothus (Ceanothus spinosus), the bane of XC hikers!
Oh, yeah. Ya got that right. Still, a lovely flower with a subtle blue-lavender color.
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:....and chia
¿Qué?
Dis one in da picture. Your Calflora link is right on. It has little edible seeds that can be shaken out after the head is dry. Nice snack. :)
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:baby coming in only four months.
Wow! early congrats... Hope the Mrs's is doing well through it.
Thanks. Really rough first trimester in terms of "morning sickness," but she's doing better now.
mattmaxon wrote:Sooo.... you can't get anybody to go hiking with you and decided to grow a hiking buddy from seed? :lol:
:lol: My wife is already telling me not to force our child to go hiking. I've already bought vibram soled baby booties. Do you think that's going too far? :lol: