Summer Backpack Plans

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

My backpack plans for this summer:

June: San Jacinto Peak, 3 nights, starting and ending at Deer Springs Trailhead.

July: Mt San Gorgonio, 2 nights, starting and ending at Fish Creek Trailhead

August: 50 mile loop in Sequoia and King's Canyon NP, 7 nights, starting at Lodgepole and ending at Crescent Meadows; clockwise tour over Silliman Pass through Roaring River, Deadman Canyon, Elizabeth Pass, and Bearpaw Meadows.

May (if dates work out) Olancha Pass overnighter.

Anybody else have any plans???
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Since I decided to quit my job and my last day is the end of May, I'm heading up to San Jacinto and San Gorgonio the 1st week of June. After that, Vegas area, Red Rocks, Mt. Charleston & Zion. Death Valley after that, and then Lake Tahoe area. Then up through Lassen, up to Shasta area, and to NE Cali. After that, I'll spend the summer in Oregon & Washington.

I can't wait to put my stuff in storage and head out!
simonov

Post by simonov »

23-25 May (Memorial Day), Mt San Gorgonio via Aspen Grove and Fish Creek Saddle.

6-7 June, San Bernardino Peak via Limber Pine Bench.

Later in June, four days on Mt Rainier.

16-18 August, Mt Langley via Cottonwood Lakes and Old Army Pass.

Noob overnights to John's Meadow and Kelly's Camp throughout the summer.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

drinkingbuddy wrote:I'm heading up to San Jacinto and San Gorgonio the 1st week of June. After that, Vegas area, Red Rocks, Mt. Charleston & Zion. Death Valley after that...
You sure you want to hit DV that late in the year? Say to hello to the :twisted: when you see him there. Watch out for the pitchfork.

Mike, that 50 miler sounds nice. I want to do something similar if my knee heals up: Mineral King to Redwood Meadow to Bearpaw Meadow to Kaweah Gap to Big Arroyo to Little Five Lakes to Big Five Lakes to Lost Canyon to Columbine Lake to Sawtooth Pass to Mineral King.

What's your itinerary for your July Gorgonio trip? Nice country. I was just there this past weekend.
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Death Valley in Late June? Can't be that bad... :D

I'm planning on doing Wildrose & Telescope peaks.

I love the heat! I remember coming back from a hike after work last year up Echo Mountain. Made it back to the car just before 10pm (don't want to get a ticket...) Once I got back to my apt, outside temp was 101, inside was 103....
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Mike, that 50 miler sounds nice. I want to do something similar if my knee heals up: Mineral King to Redwood Meadow to Bearpaw Meadow to Kaweah Gap to Big Arroyo to Little Five Lakes to Big Five Lakes to Lost Canyon to Columbine Lake to Sawtooth Pass to Mineral King.

What's your itinerary for your July Gorgonio trip? Nice country. I was just there this past weekend.
HJ-We did a slightly altered version of your Mineral King loop three years ago: Mineral King to Franklin Lakes (night 1) to Little Claire Lake (2) to Lost Canyon Junction with Big Five Lakes Trail (3) to Little Five Lakes (4 and 5) over Kaweah Gap to Hamilton Lakes (6) to Cliff Creek Trail Camp (7) to Mineral King. ~ 52 miles. Incredible!

San G: Fish Creek Trailhead to Mineshaft Flat (1) Bag San G then to Lodgepole Springs (2) trace trail back to Fish Creek Saddle then out to FC trailhead. Done this one before... it's fun.

Is your knee getting any better?
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

On a related note... 2 years ago I was going to do a loop around the Kaweah's (see the book Trekking California for details). I had family coming into town so I didn't want to chance it. I went to the Kern River and back, I still wish I went all the way around, but I may have been a day late and didn't want to leave them waiting at the airport. Still a fantastic trip!!!

Cottonwood Lakes to Mt. Langley (and Mt. Guyot because it looked so impressive on the trip above. Although it really isn't a great peak...) is high on my list. I might try it in late September. I also purchased a season ski pass to Mammoth Mountain!
simonov

Post by simonov »

drinkingbuddy wrote:Death Valley in Late June? Can't be that bad... :D

I'm planning on doing Wildrose & Telescope peaks.
I climbed Telescope in August a few years ago. Mahogany Flat is something like 8,000 feet high and quite cool, even in summer. It's not at all like the Valley floor.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I wanna do an easy camping trip to Twin Peaks, just chill at the saddle and do some climbing on East Twin's South Buttress, and have a good time in that most beautiful part of the SG's. If anyone is interested, you're more than welcome to come along. I'm gonna go after I get a new harness, I guess.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

1. horseshoe meadows to whitney [solo]

2. tuolumne meadows to mammoth [with 5year old daughter]

3.hike PCT from silverwood lake to agua dulce [solo but following thru hikers]

4.sleep on gorgonio summit or jacinto hut [with whoever i can find to roll]
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

SGR E Fk Vincent Gulch Divide to Heaton Flat

PCT - Kearsarge Pass Trail to Florence Lake from Onion Valley TH

Whitney Portal to Mt Whitney
Bill

Post by Bill »

Doing an upper Hwy 2 loop Vincent Gap down to Bigrock creek to Islip saddle and take the PCT back to Vincent Gap late May or early June.
Portion of the PCT between Cajon pass and AquaDulce. (as yet undetermined)
Teton Crest trail July 29- Aug 2.
Mt Whitney Horshoe Meadow through Cottonwood lakes, New Army Pass October or late September.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

okay......

june 4-? Split Mtn (14,000ft) via St. Jean's Couloir/red lake

june 17-21 car camp with all my friends in a secret location along the greenhorn Mtns (western sierra)

june 21-july 18?????? 2 of my best friends and I will backpack from hwy 198(Quaking Aspen out of Porterville/Springdale), up the Little Kern to Farewell Gap/mineral king, down to Kern Hot Springs, over Forester pass, along the JMT to the Upper Basin and then take the Sierra High Route the rest of the way to Red's Meadow/Mammoth, then cross the the minarets between Rodger's and Lyell, descend to Lyell frk Merced river, then to near Vogelsang, ireland lakes, then try and climb Mt Lyell again.
end in Tuolumne Meadows in mid july. 270+ miles

ressupplies at Onion Valley, South Lake and Mammoth lakes

august 1 move to south lake tahoe for college
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:HJ-We did a slightly altered version of your Mineral King loop three years ago: Mineral King to Franklin Lakes (night 1) to Little Claire Lake (2) to Lost Canyon Junction with Big Five Lakes Trail (3) to Little Five Lakes (4 and 5) over Kaweah Gap to Hamilton Lakes (6) to Cliff Creek Trail Camp (7) to Mineral King. ~ 52 miles. Incredible!
Yeah, really interesting country around there. I've done a couple of BP's and some camping in and around Mineral King, and I've been down into Big Arroyo before. Looking forward to seing it again. I hope I can do it, particularly since I've got a daughter on the way -- due date = Sept 14, but my knee makes it iffy. I should be training right now.
Mike P wrote:San G: Fish Creek Trailhead to Mineshaft Flat (1) Bag San G then to Lodgepole Springs (2) trace trail back to Fish Creek Saddle then out to FC trailhead. Done this one before... it's fun.
I know the area well. Yes, that's a good one. I was out at Big Tree in September. Nice country. I went down the N Fork of the Whitewater River for a while past Big Tree, but it's tough sledding: a lot of buckthorn and such. One of these days, I want to head out on Ten Thousand Foot and see how far I can get into the mostly trackless SE portion of the SGW, a most intriguing area.
Mike P wrote:Is your knee getting any better?
It felt good when I did some day hikes this weekend, but now it's bugging me. :( I see the Sports Med doc on Tuesday, God willing. I'm on the hook for Jury Duty. I hope I don't have to cancel the appointment.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:june 21-july 18?????? 2 of my best friends and I will backpack from hwy 198(Quaking Aspen out of Porterville/Springdale), up the Little Kern to Farewell Gap/mineral king, down to Kern Hot Springs, over Forester pass, along the JMT to the Upper Basin and then take the Sierra High Route the rest of the way to Red's Meadow/Mammoth, then cross the the minarets between Rodger's and Lyell, descend to Lyell frk Merced river, then to near Vogelsang, ireland lakes, then try and climb Mt Lyell again.
end in Tuolumne Meadows in mid july. 270+ miles
Nice!
Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:august 1 move to south lake tahoe for college
Nicer still!!
mtbphoto

Post by mtbphoto »

For me and my buddy:
May: maybe 1 training trip and sleep on top of baldy
June: Rainier
July: maybe a weekend or 2 in the sierras, I wanna bag a 14er or 2
August: JMT
September: ?
Octoberish: move to North Lake Tahoe for the winter season
Attempted Whitney via the mountaineers route last weekend and failed, maybe try that again sometime this summer
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mtbphoto wrote:Attempted Whitney via the mountaineers route last weekend and failed, maybe try that again sometime this summer
Too much ice/snow? (I saw some recent pics; looked like there was a lot of frozen stuff up there still)