jury duty

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

what i've learned so far -

apparently jurors sometimes try to take pictures in the courtroom :?

some also take cell phone calls!

one guy a month ago walked into the waiting room with a plain black shirt with big white letters "GUILTY". :lol: Why wasn't everyone else laughing at this?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Read the book "The Innocent Man" by John Gresham.

You do not want to be on trial in "Ada, Oklahoma" all you have to do to get convicted is be a suspect that has "Dreams" - 4 guys were put on "Death Row" for murders (two seperate cases, two sets of friends) you did not commit.

http://www.jgrisham.com/the-innocent-man/

It's spooky how easy it is to get convicted in Oklahoma - based on a true story.

:oops:
simonov

Post by simonov »

My father was a cop. He will never sit on a jury. Counsel for the defense will always boot an ex-cop.

I once showed up for a capital trial. I truthfully told them I opposed the death penalty and they sent me on my way.

I was once part of the pool for a civil sexual harassment suit. During selection, the judge was there providing instructions and advice. The two attorneys stood up and asked everyone if they felt they could judge fairly and without prejudice. Finally one old guy at the end says, "But I don't believe there's such a thing as sexual harassment." The judge asked him to have a nice day and dismissed him.
Nunc est bibendum
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

wrote:one guy a month ago walked into the waiting room with a plain black shirt with big white letters "GUILTY". :lol: Why wasn't everyone else laughing at this?
I am. That is funny.

----

I was part of a very deep trial one time. No, I wasn't the defendant :P I was on the jury.

So some serious serious testimony going on, I'm busy taking copious notes. All of a sudden the juror next to me nudges me, points to his notebook --- only to show me the incredibly detailed picture he was drawing of Bugs Bunny. No joke. Excellent drawing though.

Lilbitmo, thanks for the tip on that book. Looks very interesting.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

lilbitmo wrote:Read the book "The Innocent Man" by John Gresham.

You do not want to be on trial in "Ada, Oklahoma" all you have to do to get convicted is be a suspect that has "Dreams" - 4 guys were put on "Death Row" for murders (two seperate cases, two sets of friends) you did not commit.

http://www.jgrisham.com/the-innocent-man/

It's spooky how easy it is to get convicted in Oklahoma - based on a true story.

:oops:
Moral: Stay out of Oklahoma? :P

simonov wrote:My father was a cop. He will never sit on a jury. Counsel for the defense will always boot an ex-cop.

I once showed up for a capital trial. I truthfully told them I opposed the death penalty and they sent me on my way.

I was once part of the pool for a civil sexual harassment suit. During selection, the judge was there providing instructions and advice. The two attorneys stood up and asked everyone if they felt they could judge fairly and without prejudice. Finally one old guy at the end says, "But I don't believe there's such a thing as sexual harassment." The judge asked him to have a nice day and dismissed him.
My father and grandfather were cops (Cleveland PD). I assume that if they asked me any 'are you friends with a cop', that fact would kick me out the door real fast.

I wonder how many lies they read through each day. I heard one guy (I'm sure there's many), in response to the 'will you promise to be objective' yada yada, reply "I'll try".
outwhere wrote: I was part of a very deep trial one time. No, I wasn't the defendant :P I was on the jury.

So some serious serious testimony going on, I'm busy taking copious notes. All of a sudden the juror next to me nudges me, points to his notebook --- only to show me the incredibly detailed picture he was drawing of Bugs Bunny. No joke. Excellent drawing though.
And now my confidence in the judicial system has increased tenfold! lol jeez
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Oh and we all got sent home at 3:30. so that was it. nothing. done for at least a year :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote:Oh and we all got sent home at 3:30. so that was it. nothing. done for at least a year :D
I had jury duty one week in which Monday was New Years Eve and Tuesday was obviously not open for business. I was called in on Monday and they spent about 2 hours with orientation and speeches about how "you will be here all day" and "don't expect to go home early just because it is NYE". About 10 minutes later they called about 12 people for a trial and then about 10 minutes later they told the rest of us to go home. Bingo...done for a year!!!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I recently got off having to do Jury Duty. Didn't even get called in this time, did the whole phone thing instead.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

the phone thing is nice, then you don't have to go in for a whole week. just one day. not so bad