20090418 Baldy DBB

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

EnFuego and I took the new 5.18D+ A6 WI42 R/X route up Baldy today.

That is all.
hikehigh

Post by hikehigh »

Any info on conditions????????????? I was thinking of doing bear canyon sun. Thinking shorts and t-shirt, and leaving the winter gear at home......... Any info on conditions would help.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Not sure about that route, but DBB was free of any real snow that required crampons. We didn't go to the summit, just went to the hut straight down from the saddle between Harwood and Baldy. I wore a T-shirt and running shorts. Put my hardshell on once for wind.

I know that doesn't cover any of the terrain you'll be going on, but I hope it helps. I'd take instep crampons if ya have 'em.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

excellent...I'm gonna check out the bear canyon trail on Monday, even if snow prevents a summit. hikehigh let me know if you do that trail and what the conditions are. thanks
Liz

Post by Liz »

My friend Jeff and I went up via the Bear Flat Trail. My 18th time on Baldy, but my first time up that trail. I'll post my TR tomorrow.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

If anyone gone up Baldy via the Ski Hut, please post a conditions report for the trail between the Ski Hut and the summit. I'm going up that route with a group next Saturday and some of them don't have snow experience; so I'm trying to figure out how high we'll be able to go before turning back.

Taco: Was the Devils Backbone just a few easy patches of snow?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Kathy, yep, just a bit of snow at the sketchy part to worry about. There's snow on trail on Harwood, but it's not an obstacle.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Kathy, I was went up the ski hut today and came down DBB. The ski hut trail is snow free until the shady slope where the trail switchbacks up to the ridge. I started real early, so it was a bit slick when I went up. (used crampons) There is good boot track through that area. Once you get to the ridge its patchy snow but easily doable for a novice. The backbone could be done easily. (that small area Taco mentioned will likely be gone by next Saturday) You can avoid 95% of the few patches that are left. I think your group could make the summit if you get to that slope mid to late morning.

Ze' the last few miles of Bear Canyon looked like there was still some decent snow fields to transverse. The snow near West Baldy was hard, but it was early and still cool.

Pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs ... MtHarwood#
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:EnFuego and I took the new 5.18D+ A6 WI42 R/X route up Baldy today.

That is all.
I'd prolly rate it 5.17C+ A6 WI42 R/X
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You've been known to sandbag, though.

"...feels like a bag of sand..."
simonov

Post by simonov »

Well, if you were up on Baldy on Saturday you know there's plenty of snow on the north facing slopes of the Cucamonga Wilderness;
Nunc est bibendum
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

hvydrt wrote:Kathy, I was went up the ski hut today and came down DBB. The ski hut trail is snow free until the shady slope where the trail switchbacks up to the ridge. I started real early, so it was a bit slick when I went up. (used crampons) There is good boot track through that area. Once you get to the ridge its patchy snow but easily doable for a novice. The backbone could be done easily. (that small area Taco mentioned will likely be gone by next Saturday) You can avoid 95% of the few patches that are left. I think your group could make the summit if you get to that slope mid to late morning.

Ze' the last few miles of Bear Canyon looked like there was still some decent snow fields to transverse. The snow near West Baldy was hard, but it was early and still cool.

Pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs ... MtHarwood#
Thank you so much!!!! I think we'll go up via the Devil's Backbone on Saturday.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

KathyW wrote: Thank you so much!!!! I think we'll go up via the Devil's Backbone on Saturday.
Temps this weekend are supposed to drop back down to the mid 60's coastal areas. Should be very nice up top. I think you would very much enjoy the DBB this weekend. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

ONE CUP OZEKI SAKE!!!!!!!!!!