Snow day on Mount Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Went to Mount Baldy yesterday 4/8 via the ski hut trail. :D When I arrived there were clear skies and about a half inch to 1 inch of new snow on the ground. Once I got close to the ski hut clouds really started moving in and the visibilty drasticaly declined and I could no longer see the summit. All I could see was a lack of snow in the bowl except for the most western section near where the trail goes up. Well I decided to just go straight up that part of the bowl, I was probably about a 100 feet from where the trees are on the west side. Well after a slow ascent up the corner of the bowl I topped out on the ridge at about 8900 feet accroding to the gps. From there I followed the ridge to the summit with hardly any visibilty and light snow flurries falling. When I arrived at the summit there was one other person there. It was very cold on top maybe 20 degrees, my whole face had frost all over it and my camelbak drinking tube was completly frozen solid. It was also extremely windy the whole time I was up on top. I was only there for about 5 minutes, just long enough to eat my sandwich. There were no view in any direction. Well I quickly decended to get away from the wind, and on my way back down to the ski hut it really started snowing, and it was even starting to accumulate but not more than an inch or so. Once near the hut I took a long break just sitting on the bench getting snowed on. I love the snow when it's actually falling. From there I hiked back down to the parking lot slowly watching the snow accumulate before my eyes, but too bad it was no more than an inch, oh well I guess we have to be thankful for what ever we get these days towards the end of the season. Well overall I had a grat time, I made it to the summit, and got snowed on the whole way back. What more could you ask for, it was a perfect day, just a little too cold!!!!! 8)

Here are my pictures if anyones interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/brian90620/ ... #slideshow

Post by 406 »

nice.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Frickin' graffiti on the goddamn summit plaque?!
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

TacoDelRio wrote:Frickin' graffiti on the goddamn summit plaque?!
Exactly what I thought :x :x - just almost unbelievable.... then again, is this now what comes with the territory??? Talk about an oxyMORON!

Well, this line, taken directly from the Mt. Baldy Lodge's website is more 'writing-on-the-wall':

We continue to work on and improve our cabins so that you will enjoy your time here. Please do not carve in wood or leave us any permanent reminder of your stay.

These people that have to mark their territory really do have some issues to work out...
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Posse?

Sweet pix! I particularly liked the way you captured the incoming weather....
kgw

Post by kgw »

Some really nice photos there! I'll bet they capture 10 percent of what your lucky eyes saw! :)
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

TacoDelRio wrote:Frickin' graffiti on the goddamn summit plaque?!
It sucks when people decide to tag all over sh*t, :evil: especially on a summit plaque.......If you think about it, it's hard to believe a tagger would hike all the way up to the top of the mountian anyways, I always thought those type of people were lazy and just come to the mountians to get stoned and leave trash in the creeks......

EManBevHills wrote:Posse?
Nope this was a solo trip....... I normally would never go alone but I'm on spring break from my school this week, and my gf couldnt make it. I really wanted to get up there before the snow melts and what better day to go than a snow day..........
EManBevHills wrote:Sweet pix! I particularly liked the way you captured the incoming weather....
Thanks!!!!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Looks like you hit Baldy at near perfect conditions. Well, beautiful conditions to say the least. I love conditions like that. Just a little something to add a little something different to the norm.

Thanks for the pics - really nice.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I saw the summit marker tagged last Sunday but didn't say anything because part of what those "Knuckelheads" want is recognition.

Because the plate up there is "Steel" it will be easy to remove with some paint thinner.

I sure would like to catch the "A$$hole" that did it, in the act of doing it, there's some really slick "Ice Chute's" facing north still and we could always toss whomever off one of those chutes and yell at them, "tag your way to safety", as we watch them bounce down that slope?

Just a thought :cry: :x
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

lilbitmo wrote: I sure would like to catch the "A$$hole" that did it, in the act of doing it, there's some really slick "Ice Chute's" facing north still and we could always toss whomever off one of those chutes and yell at them, "tag your way to safety", as we watch them bounce down that slope?

Just a thought :cry: :x
I will grab his other leg help you heave. There will be no proof...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

If he's half a "Man" he will accept the punishment coming :D