1AM accent of The Dare in the Bowl

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Late TR from Saturday morning trip up the Bowl. We took the couloir furthest to the left known as The Dare. Beautiful sustained 45 plus deg. We topped out just as dawn broke around 6 AM. Snow was ideal---very firm. I will let the video do the rest of the talking. Of the countless times I have been up Baldy in every imaginable condition this is one of my favorites.

Video
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... RlB&ref=mf

Pics
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 75e8bf572d
(This trip are the last 12 in the album)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great Report, nice pictures.

Sun up on Baldy on a clear day is one of my favorites.

Thanks for posting.
:D
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Yeah, the wind was nothing like it was in your video when I was on the summit. Awesome video and pictures!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Where was the invite!!! :lol:

Nice pics. I noticed you guys roped up. Did you have a running belay? Snow pickets?

By any chance do you know the names of all the couloirs up there?

Thanks for sharing. BTW - chaeck your PM.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Really cool at sunrise fo sho.

Here's a topo-kinda thing I drew up a while ago, EnFuego:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:Really cool at sunrise fo sho.

Here's a topo-kinda thing I drew up a while ago, EnFuego:
Cool dilio. :lol:

Thanks.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

EnFuego wrote:Where was the invite!!! :lol:

Nice pics. I noticed you guys roped up. Did you have a running belay? Snow pickets?

By any chance do you know the names of all the couloirs up there?

Thanks for sharing. BTW - chaeck your PM.
We roped up half for fun/practice and the other half out of saftey. We used a running belay with pickets.

This was my most technical alpine climb to date and I am hooked! I am hoping to get out at least one more time this season.

Toco- thanks for the route names. What couloirs have you been up in the bowl? It seems like Once is Enough would be the most technical. I was going to subscribe to your youtube account but you beat me to it.

Look forward to running into you guys at some point. I noticed the waterfalls were gushing and I am temped to go for a early canyoneering adventure. Enfuego- you want to go... :lol: Or anyone else? Wetsuits advised. :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't know, I've been up a few of them, but I stay away from the Bowl unless I'm in a group. I think we went up Hourglass or Zen during the blizzard on Superbowl Sunday 2008.

If you wanna do some more technical stuff, hit me up. I'm itching to get out but lack transportation. I can act as a guide, I reckon.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

glamisking wrote:[ I noticed the waterfalls were gushing and I am temped to go for a early canyoneering adventure. Enfuego- you want to go... :lol: Or anyone else? Wetsuits advised. :shock:
Should I bring my aqualung? :lol:
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

EnFuego wrote:Should I bring my aqualung? :lol:
Not a bad idea....You can see why in this photo.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... d=68602558
And that was after a dry year, late in the summer. You typically are holding your breath through it :lol:

Toco- I would be honored to go with you; you seem like the icon of technical mountaineering on this forum. I have learned a lot this season but I am not sure how I would feel climbing some of your accomplishments. I do have Snow Creek on my list but I am not sure if it will happen this season. If you have any desire to do that one a third time...please let me know. I could defiantly use a guide there.

So are you saying that the couloirs in the bowl are too much? So much so that you avoid them :?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nah, the Bowl just gets boring. Same thing.

If you wanna hit up Snow Creek I'm all for it, lemme kow. Unless you want Fight On to bug ya. :lol:
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

TacoDelRio wrote:Nah, the Bowl just gets boring. Same thing.

If you wanna hit up Snow Creek I'm all for it, lemme kow. Unless you want Fight On to bug ya. :lol:
I hear you about the Bowl. I have the same feelings about the ski hut trail. Unless there is some serious acclimate weather or conditions I have grown weary of the same old-same old.

I know it may be a bit far off but the next time I can head out maybe the week after Easter. I am sure my buddy would like to tag along. He attempted it last spring but retreated after nasty bush whacking, route finding, etc.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

glamisking wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Nah, the Bowl just gets boring. Same thing.

I hear you about the Bowl. I have the same feelings about the ski hut trail. Unless there is some serious acclimate weather or conditions I have grown weary of the same old-same old.

I know it may be a bit far off but the next time I can head out maybe the week after Easter. I am sure my buddy would like to tag along. He attempted it last spring but retreated after nasty bush whacking, route finding, etc.
Lets do the North Couloir (Bloody Couloir) on Bloody Mountain in the Sierras. I'll drive. I kow 2 others that would be in fer sher
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

If I'm not one of those two, please make it three!
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

EnFuego wrote: Lets do the North Couloir (Bloody Couloir) on Bloody Mountain in the Sierras. I'll drive. I kow 2 others that would be in fer sher
Looks good to me! Lets talk more as it gets closer and we can nail down a date. Enfuego- I got back to you about this weekend right? PM me if needed.