Mostly Pics of clouds 3/21/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I did a solo hike from Lake Avenue to San Gabriel Peak. I did this particular lollipop loop 2 weeks ago, for the first time. This time I did the 17ish miles, with about 4,700 foot gain I intended, and took no accidental detour. Yay!

I started at 7:03 AM, up the Sam Merrill Trail. Hikers, be on the lookout (and listen) for cyclists who come barreling down the upper Sam M Trail. When I’m alone, I usually listen to my iPod, but on that stretch of trail, only with one ear bud in.

I hit Mt. Lowe, because it was there. After a quick snack break, I pushed onward, to San Gabriel Peak. I made it there by 10:30. Not bad, considering my breaks up to that point had added up to about 20 minutes or so. I met a nice group of hikers on San Gab Peak. They were part of a hiking group organized through Northrop. Cool group, and what a neat way for employees of the same company to come together.

Anyway, I made my way back to Lake Avenue. When I got back to Lowe, I took the East trail down. (I came up the West trail). Oh, on the East Lowe Trail, I met Fighton, who used to be active on this site. I didn’t even pause at Inspiration Point, because it was crowded, and because all you could see was clouds, anyway.

It was a pleasant day, and gave me a chance to get a great workout, and sort through some stuff in my head. Great combo! I was done by 2:30.

Pics (mostly of clouds) are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 734273706/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Looked like a nice day for a hike. I always like hiking in clouds or rain, or mist, or fog or snow or ice or mud, anything excep tthe norm. Normal is so boring.

Being outdoors and clearing your head is always a good combo. Hope you were able clear your head and able to leave nothing to think about later.

Toblerone is poison for the soul. Yuck!!!!! Snickers all the way. :lol:

By the way, do you know what is hidden on the Toblerone package? I can't give you any hints just yet. :twisted:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job! does Fight On look strange in real life? holes cut in his shirt by chance :D

I'll probably be doing a similar route next sat. maybe the Banned One will be around...
Liz

Post by Liz »

Wow, EnFuego! You always know how to amuse me. I think I'm seeing a bear, hidden in the Toberlone Matterhorn. Now, I did do my long hike, went out to dinner, hung with my family, and am now sipping tequila. So it's possible that I'm seeing things after staring in one spot for too long. Ha ha. No, I'm pretty sure it's a bear! I'll call it the Toblerbear. And, I did find it tasty, and with good ingredients- no extra preservatives or anything. Now, I'm not giving up on SNickers (for hikes only) but it was nice to try something different. After all, variety is ONE OF the spices of life.

And, I did clear my head a bit. I've been dealing with something lately, and just had to go through some stuff. I'm feeling good about what's happening in my life, now. Let go of some stress and anxiety. Ah, mountains work wonders.

And Ze, nothing too interesting about Fighton's appearance. I just thought our interaction was funny. He approached me, as he hiked uphill and I was going down. He said, "Hi, I'm Fighton." I said, "Hi, I'm Liz." He replied, "I know." Ha ha.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Well Liz, it was good that you made sure to dress well enough to avoid the Banned One's "Unusual Hiking Attire" gallery. He did post a pic from the Sam Merrill Trail today.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Well, I'm pretty boring when it comes to my trail threads. I look like a hiker. But, I think a buddy and I are going to try something silly, when the weather gets warmer. (Buddy, you know who you are!) I'll keep it at that. Ha!

:twisted:
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Great pics of the clouds Liz. There were definitely some cool cloud formations in the mountains on Saturday. You clicked off those trail miles in great time too.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks, GigaMike!

When I'm alone, I tend to move fairly quickly on the trail. I do have a buddy who will slow me down a little, encouraging me to take in the scenery, which I also appreciate. So, I alternate, speed with scenery.

8)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Beautiful pics! "Descending from San Gab" is the best. I also like the Toblerone "product placement" shot. I have one of a friend of mine holding an Evian water bottle full of iodine trated water - it's all cloudy and yellow, and he's smiling like it's the best thing ever...funny stuff

Nice TR!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice pics, Liz. And pay no mind to EnFuego--the mighty Toblerone has rewarded me on many a summit :wink: !

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Now that's product placement.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Liz, nice hike, nice report, nice pictures.

You keep this up and you are going to be showing our friend how to do the death march with no problem - you might have to help him if you keep this pace going.

Leave it to Dave to climb "Cornell Peak" and then try to eat a snack without taking it out of the box :wink: - he must have been really hungry?
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:I do have a buddy who will slow me down a little, encouraging me to take in the scenery, which I also appreciate. So, I alternate, speed with scenery.
Ouch!!! :x I think I represent that remark. :lol: OK - I won't slow down for you anymore and make excuses of looking at the scenery. be ready to eat my dust. :twisted:

Dave G wrote:Nice pics, Liz. And pay no mind to EnFuego--the mighty Toblerone has rewarded me on many a summit :wink: !
Ouch!!! Ouch!!!! No worries Dave G. I was just giving Liz a hard time. Darn, now she knows I was just teasing. I've had many rewards on summits, I jsut don't recall Toblerone being any of them :shock:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Ouch! Ouch! Poor EnFuego!

There's no way I'll ever eat your dust, if we do a regular, uphill hike. But when we go bushwhacking, cross country up steep ridgelines...or uphill in icy conditions....then you'll will be ahead. And, I like hiking with you. Both of our hikes together have been fun! So, no ouch needed!

And Dave G is on point! Go Toblerone. :P
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:Ouch! Ouch! Poor EnFuego!
There's no way I'll ever eat your dust, if we do a regular, uphill hike. But when we go bushwhacking, cross country up steep ridgelines...or uphill in icy conditions....then you'll will be ahead. And, I like hiking with you. Both of our hikes together have been fun! So, no ouch needed! :P
What if we do downhill hike?
Liz

Post by Liz »

Well, you can beat me on downhill, especially if there's snow involved. But, if we're going down, chances are we're going up. Oh, that's why I love hiking in Grand Canyon! I get the boring part over with, and then get to enjoy the uphill...my fave part!