Mt. Baldy, Dawson, Pine & West Baldy - 3.21.09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

It was a unusually quiet day on Baldy today. Started from Manker Flat at 7:20am and only saw a few hikers on the way up to the hut. A few more climbers in the bowl and no one on the summit (weird). Headed down the North side to Dawson and Pine and then back up to Baldy, where there were only 3 hikers taking a break below the summit. Went over to West Baldy before hiking back down to Manker. All in all, a great day on the mountain. Just some light winds throughout the day, which helped keep it cool.

Pictures here
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Good dang workout, Mike! It sounds as if Baldy was no busier on Saturday than it was the day before.
He219

Post by He219 »

Outstanding Mike!
Well done.
I like this pic
:D
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Hey Mike- My friend Ben and I (Peter) were the ones who greeted you as you topped out from the bowl. You said the winds were light? I was getting pushed around up there and ran for cover after topping out. It was nice to meet you and look forward to another run-in.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Alan- I thought for sure there would be a ton of people on Baldy yesterday. I was thinking it could be the last good weekend to go straight up the bowl. Btw, i'm not complaining :)

He219- Thanks. That picture shows just how much snow is still on the Northern slopes.

Glamisking- It was great taking a few minutes to talk you guys (I need a break anyways!). I mentioned light winds, but there were a few wind gusts around 20mph or so. A lot of times the winds are strongest in the early morning around sunrise, which could be why you guys experienced much stronger winds.