Devil's Backbone from the North, 21-Mar-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Went up to Baldy Notch via the gully under Chair 1, then took Turkey Shoot to the top of Chair 4. The ski area looked depressing. Only the south side was open and beginners were still trying to learn on 3" of snow. God bless them.

At the DBB, I dropped down the north side but more towards the east where the trees are. I continued down to 7700 ft, which is about halfway down to Stockton Flats. I wasn't feeling the climbing today so an 800 ft climb was more than enough for me. I was looking forward to coming home early.

Nothing too exciting to report. The snow had a crust on it everywhere, but the underlying snow varied a lot. Some spots were powdery, while others were icy. What else is new? Steepest angle in one of the chutes was about 42°. Saw some snowboard tracks that seem to go on all the way to the bottom. But no hiker/climber tracks other than my own. It is very peaceful back there, but if you have an accident you're on your own.

Not too many cars at MF today (this pic taken at 3:00pm).
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Good stuff Tim. I thought that was your black Prelude parked next to me today (Atleast I think that was yours...?)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tim, is that your DC5 Integra I keep seeing up there?

That area behind DBB gets cool sometimes, with some steeeeep stuff closer to Harwood. :twisted:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

GigaMike wrote:Good stuff Tim. I thought that was your black Prelude parked next to me today (Atleast I think that was yours...?)
Whoops, guess I'm off. H22A? :lol:
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Hey Taco, that's my wannabe DC5 :lol: One of these days I'll run into you!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

GigaMike wrote:Hey Taco, that's my wannabe DC5 :lol: One of these days I'll run into you!
Maybe literally. :lol:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks Mike and well done on your 4-peak trip that same day! I thought about going over to Baldy after my climb because the glissade action would have been nice, but I got too lazy.

Taco's right, there is some seriously steep stuff next to Harwood. I was way east of that where it was more mild.

That's not my Prelude and obviously not the Integra but I do drive a Honda. A plain old boring stock 4-cyl Accord. Not very exciting but I like that it's reliable. I've driven that thing on so many mountain roads. It handles curves pretty well but it doesn't have much power. I hope to keep driving it until at least 300k miles (about halfway there now). After that, maybe a Honda Fit. I like the utility of being able to fold down all the seats.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Lemme know if you wanna hit one of those steeper setions. 8)

Post by 406 »

nice work.