Cougar Class this Tuesday 3/17

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Learn all about the sweet widdle kitties:

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing Cougarmagic.

Only problem for me is this is on a Tuesday and traffic to get there from Seal Beach area would S.U.C.K.!!!! But I'll try. Sounds intriguing.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm going to try to make it, looks interesting.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Yeah, that is not an easy place to get to, from anywhere. I'm going to have to brave the 405.

I'll fill you guys in on any cool cougar facts if you can't make it! (I'm soooo hoping the guy will give me some camera location ideas!)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:I'm going to try to make it, looks interesting.
Wanna car pool? maybe I could get a couple wildcats to go (Arizona Wildcats that is :lol: )

Post by 406 »

I thought this thread was going to be about old ladies.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Post by 406 »

^^^yep
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Oh good! Now you'll be able to recognize me if you go the class. That's EXACTLY what I look like! :lol:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Did anyone else make it to the presentation?

I hadn't been to Temescal Canyon park before - it's very nice. The talk really lived up to my expectations. It was all about the Santa Monicas and Simi Hills, since they aren't studying lions in the San Gabriels right now. The study has been going on for several years, and they've had nine (or ten?) collared lions. Some of them have died, so I'm not sure how many are currently collared, but they know there are more out there based on tracks and sightings, and other signs.

The 101 and 118 freeways are major barriers to the lions. A few lions can survive and coexist in an area the size of the SMs (there is plenty of food for them), but they can't successfully reproduce because the young need to disperse once they are about a year old. Dominant males will kill any other male in their territory, even their own offspring. The collar data shows lions pacing near the freeways, continually looking for a place to cross. There are some plans to build a wildlife corridor underpass near Liberty Canyon Road, and also plans to clean out a drainage tunnel under the 118 near Stoney Pt for the same purpose.

The main threats for cougar survival are habitat loss and fragmentation from development, getting hit by cars, and conflict with other cougars (which is basically the same thing as habitat loss - if they had more space, they wouldn't kill each other as much). Other than those problems, the animals they capture are very healthy, except for one other problem - anticoagulant rodent poison works its way up the food chain, and these chemicals have been found in all of the study lions' blood at some level. Two lions died a few years ago in the Cheeseboro area from eating a coyote that had eaten rats that had been poisoned with this kind of rat bait. It's a slow, painful, horrific death - the animal's insides turn to goo, and it bleeds out of every orifice. Lovely. The EPA is now restricting these chemicals, so that soon they will no longer be sold "over the counter" at places like Home Depot.

Small levels of the chemicals won't kill an adult lion, but it seems to make them more susceptible to mange, which is also nasty.

The tracking data shows the lions ranging all over, in close proximity to houses and hikers and using the trails and fire roads (though usually they travel only at night), with no conflicts. It was the biologists strong opinion (made with some great sarcastic comments) that these animals are shy, reclusive, and despite their size and strength, they are not a threat to humans. I've found this to be the opinion of everyone who studies lions closely. They have a hard time finding them and capturing them, because they run away from people. Yes, there have been some uh..."incidents", but when you see how close these animals are to people every day, and how few problems there are, it really is clear that the problems are very much exceptions. (and the lions that do attack humans usually have a few other abnormal factors going on, making them behave in unusual ways). Literally millions of people hiking and biking (safely) in the mountains every year.

There were some great photos, from camera traps and from captures.

They estimate there are about 4 lions in the santa monicas, another 2-4 in the Simi Hills, and 8-10 north of the 118.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks Cougarmagic, that's a very consice report.

One of my best friends set a trap with "Rat Poinson" in a special container on top of his fence, secured it with wire and everything - the "Santa Ana's" were so strong one year it blew apart his set up and the poison ended up on the ground - guess what - he came home to find his favorite dog dead next to it - that crap is nasty - so that's a great reminder of how poison doesn't always get the intended "Targets" :cry:

The "Wildlife Bypass Under the Freeway" wouild be great - the more freedom we give the predators, that allows them to feed themselves, the less likely we are to have them - turn to us for food - I for one do not want to be "Dinner" on the "Trial" :D

Sorry I missed it but had prior commitment.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Wish a ranger or biologist would do the study on Chino Hills State Park, the last I heard there were only 2 lions in the park, with at most 3. Would be interesting to learn about them.
Amazes me that they live there though, I dont believe deers even exist anymore in the state park. I havent seen one in 8'ish years anywhere near.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The Chino Hills cats are known to go under the 91 and back into the Santa Ana range. It is also suspected that these cats go west from the Chino Hills through the Puente Hills into the La Habra Heights/Whittier area.