Popped my cherry on Baldy 3/14/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Caught your attention? Ha ha. Well, here’s the scoop. While I’ve hiked to the summit of Mt. Baldy 16 times (before today), I have never done it in snow/ice. So, when it comes to doing Baldy in the winter, I am no longer a virgin!

My buddy, EnFuego (David), and I started our day shortly before 6 AM, with the temp around 30 degrees. The waning moon was still pretty bright and the air was still. Who would wanna sleep in on a day like today?

We first made our way up the Baldy Bowl Trail, which did have long stretches of snow, but no need for technical gear. We caught with Libitmo and his buddy, Brian, who had started shortly before us. By the way, it was nice to have met you guys! Anyway, we all kept on goin’. Once at the ski hut, we met up with 2 more hikers, we all know from the site, Norma R. and Dave G. (It was cool meeting you as well!)

Shortly after leaving the hut, we stopped to don crampons, bust out our ice axes, and I put away my hiking poles. Well, I should clarify. I donned the crampons. David was being a minimalist today, and instead wore some alternative to crampons. I’m not even sure what to call them, but there is a pic of one in our photos. Now it was time for the real fun to begin! Here I was, with this shiny new ice axe, and no idea what to do with it.

We headed up the west ridge of the bowl. David taught me some techniques, not only with my ice axe, but also with my crampons, which I think I’ve only worn once before. I moved a lot more slowly than I ever have ascending Baldy, but that was to be expected. Besides, it was a beautiful morning, so no need to rush.

Originally we had planned to hike up to the bowl, and then just play there, as I learned and practiced some climbing techniques. Well, instead we just kept going and going…and made it to the summit. Woo hoo! #17 for lil’ old me!

It was about 40 degrees on the summit, with winds at about 9-12 mph. We had the summit all to ourselves. Honestly, I’ve never seen so few people on that mountain on a Saturday! Anyway, after snapping a few pics, we headed down the way we came. Um…I was pretty slow. Again, still learning. But David was a patient teacher.

We ended our fun day at the Baldy Lodge for well deserved burgers and beer. We did make the discovery that my ice axe was a little short for me, so after getting home and taking a nice, long shower, I headed to REI and got the next size up. So, EnFuego, I’m ready for the next adventure!

Here are our pics: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 211561919/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz - it was my pleasure popping....errr, giving you some lessons. Image

I'm no expert, but I think I know 1 or 2 things.

It was a fun day. I'm really glad we got out there. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel after my surgery, but I felt pretty good. I think going the minimalist route helped. I had on lightweight Goretex trekking boots, instep crampons and about a 5 pound pack. :lol:

I thought you did very well. I'm glad you were stubborn and really wanted to learn. I think the next time we go up, you'll feel a lot more comfortable. You need to break that "speed hiking" and "gotta burn my quads" routine when you're on snow or ice. Unless your snowshoeing, snow travel or ice climbing really isn't about working out. It's a slower pace and you need to be a little more aware of your surroundings.

But like I said, you got out of our comfort level, and you did really well. You actually climbed the face on the western side of the bowl, and that was pretty steep for a begineer. Next time I promise I'll bring my crampons and "show" you the techniques I tried to "explain".

The day was beautiful. It was cool seing Lilbitmo, Brian, Norma R. Dave G, and an almost empty mountain today. BTW, can you spot Lilbitmo and Brian in the "Hellooo" picture?

If you need to pop.......eeeeer, learn anything more, just let me know. Image
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey EnFuego! Thanks for your nice comments, once again. I don't think I mentioned in my TR that I had FUN with you today! Funny though, in an effore to break me of my "burn those quads" routine...you worked my quads a lot today.

I'm sure I'll need you to pop...er, um, help teach me a few new things. I'm big on new experiences these days. Hope to hike with you again soon!

:P
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Use protection.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Ha ha! Thanks, Taco. Will do. :twisted:
Zach

Post by Zach »

What the deuce?! I'm so jealous! Seems like it was a full-blown SGMDF trip!
Zach

Post by Zach »

PS:

Liz: Congrats on your first winter ascent! Do the bowl next time. You can go slow and you still get to feel the burn!
Liz

Post by Liz »

It was pretty fun. Even though we totaled 6 SGMDF hikers, we went separate ways. Norma R and Dave G were heading down. Libitmo and Brian went up a more ambitious route than EnFuego and I did. After all, I was the virgin in the mix!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:It was pretty fun. After all, I was the virgin in the mix!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Nice trip report, and really cool pics!!!!! I have been wondering, what are the conditions in the bowl like during the day, is it really icy or does the snow soften up considerably during the day where postholing would be nonstop....... I know this may be a dumb question but my gf and I have a tendency of arriving later than we should.......... :oops:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

All this talk about Cheeries and Virgins I'm getting hot and bothered - wait that's from all the sun I got on the bowl today :wink: My Face got fried like an egg, even with sunscreen on - I must be a redneck at heart.

Great trip report Liz, way to go on summiting, I watched from the middle of the bowl as you made your way up the West/South section of the bowl with EnFuego - first time out and you just kept going, nice work.

It was meet the "Bloggers" day on Mount Baldy - first we meet Liz at the trial head then we run into Dave and Norma - it was great meeting all of you finally.

By the way "Bloggers" Bryan uses a Y not and "I" in his name for future references. 8)

Going up the bowl today was a challenge and I cannot wait to do it again. I will post tomorrow when Bryan sends me his pictures.

Once again great work, look forward to seeing you on the trial again soon, thanks for sharing the photos, the shots look great.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey, Brian90620! The snow in the bowl was pretty hard packed in the morning. As we descended a bit later in the day, some of the upper portions above tee ridge were getting softer. It was even a little softer on the west ridge itself, except for the paths in the shade of course. But I do not recommend being in the bowl too late in the day in this warm weather. David had just warned me that as the sun melts the snow, rocks will lose their hold and start rolling down into the bowl... and then we saw a few rocks do just that. One was just close enough to me to drive the point home. It wasn't too close, but close enough.

Libitmo- I, too am sun/snow burned even after applying sunscreen 3 or 4 times. So, even though I popped that cherry, now my face looks like one. Ha ha!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Liz wrote:Hey, Brian90620! The snow in the bowl was pretty hard packed in the morning. As we descended a bit later in the day, some of the upper portions above tee ridge were getting softer. It was even a little softer on the west ridge itself, except for the paths in the shade of course. But I do not recommend being in the bowl too late in the day in this warm weather. David had just warned me that as the sun melts the snow, rocks will lose their hold and start rolling down into the bowl... and then we saw a few rocks do just that. One was just close enough to me to drive the point home. It wasn't too close, but close enough.
Thanks Liz for your help....... 8)

Post by 406 »

nice work...seems bigger when you get on top with all the white stuff ;-)
kind of funny, I have never been to Baldy when it didn't have snow.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Liz it's Jeff S! Great job on Baldy. Nice to see you got your first winter acent in. Next year you can go with Doogie and I up Jepson. If you want I was planning on doing Baldy this Saturday. Let me know if you'd want to go.....
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hey, Jeff -- welcome to this fine Board!