Winter sleeping pad ideas?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

Hey kids,
It has become obvious that my super lightweight 3/4 length inflatable Thermarest pad doesn't really cut it for winter camping. However, I'm really reluctant to add any weight to my pack.
Perhaps the Thermarest Ridgerest is the way to go? A 3/4 pad would be cheap, light, and small. Just not sure about warmth. Any experiences or other ideas?
I don't want to bring two pads or add weight to my pack. Some degree of suffering is permissible and to be expected. Also, I do pull the bivy pad out of my pack and use it under my torso for a little insulative boost.

Thanks!
hikehigh

Post by hikehigh »

I use a 3/4 self inflating therma rest on top of a cheap 3/4 foam pad. The foam pads are very light and provide great insulate. I use my pack under my feet and the 2 pads for my torso and head. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41314
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Use the 3/4 pad with your pack under your feat. Maybe use a bag liner. this ads 15 degrees of warmth and minimal, minimal weight. Also, eat a candy bar or something before you go to sleep. This increases your metabolism and moves your blood faster, which keeps you warm. Don't tuck your head in your bag. Your breath will cause condensation, and the moisture will get you cold.

Remember: Clothing does not make you warm; it is your body processes that keeps you warm. Clothing merely provides the insulation to preserve your warmth.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

EnFuego wrote:Use the 3/4 pad with your pack under your feat. Maybe use a bag liner. this ads 15 degrees of warmth and minimal, minimal weight. Also, eat a candy bar or something before you go to sleep. This increases your metabolism and moves your blood faster, which keeps you warm. Don't tuck your head in your bag. Your breath will cause condensation, and the moisture will get you cold.

Remember: Clothing does not make you warm; it is your body processes that keeps you warm. Clothing merely provides the insulation to preserve your warmth.
Re not "tucking your head into your bag," I believe the idea is to use the bag's hood as much as possible but not so much as to have your breath stay inside the bag.

They say having spicy, high-protein food before bed time helps you sleep warmer. Haven't tried the spicy aproach, but the protein thing works well.

Avoid dehydration since dehydration reduces ciruclation which makes it harder to stay warm.

Do a few jumping jacks or the like before you go to bed such that you go to bed warm.

Personally, I take a #4 Thermarest (1.5" thick), but that's me. :) If I'm sleeping directly on snow, I'll put a Ridgerest under my Thermarest, but that is definitely a bit of a hassle to carry two pads. If available, you can always throw pine needles under your pad; the needles really do insulate.

This is probably so basic I needn't mention it alll, but of course a fleece hat with a chin strap to keep it in place aids sleep. I also bring a couple of extra socks, including a really thick pair that I sleep with, and I sleep in long johns and a turtle neck.

They taught us in WTC to put a Nalgene full of very hot water in the foot of our bags. The bottle stays pretty warm for the majority of the night and keeps your feet warm. The hot water isn't a problem in terms of hurting your feet if you wear socks as per the above.

Wearing light fleece gloves helps keep you warm at night without being overly uncomfortable.

Of course, always wear dry clothing to bed. I bring a second pair of long johns and T-neck just for this purpose.

A lot of guys will lay their down jacket over their feet/knees or, if they have a loose enough bag, wear the down jacket to bed.

Of course sharing a tent with others helps everyone stay warm. Works pretty well (unless you share with me since I snore). :)

A lot of these ideas are things I've used over the years or learned through WTC, but some are from Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book.

Some articles from Backpacker Magazine:
http://www.backpacker.com/_2008_gear_sm ... 268?page=2
http://www.backpacker.com/blogs/634
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

Thanks all!
In the end, I opted to just massively overinflate my Thermarest. Seems to work wonders! Not sure why I didn't try that one before...
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

yoskolo wrote:Thanks all!
In the end, I opted to just massively overinflate my Thermarest. Seems to work wonders! Not sure why I didn't try that one before...
Big Bertha can always keep you warm too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

EnFuego wrote:
yoskolo wrote:Thanks all!
Big Bertha can always keep you warm too.
Uhoh, a dating story I haven't heard yet? :lol: :lol: